My Front-Engined Cruiser Needs A Suspension Fork.

5-7HEAVEN

Has anyone mounted a front engine on a bike with late-model front suspension(not the springer fork)??

I was gonna convert my girlie bike to twin Mitsubishi friction driven engines. The bike already had rear Staton setup, and my thinking was "More is better." Years ago, a Rockshox fork was installed on it to lessen the shocking impact of an electric hub and 80 lbs of batteries. This e-bike had too many disadvantages, so I stripped the electricals and converted to gas engine.

When I tried to mount the engine bracket onto the suspension fork, it was a no-go.:confused:

Has anyone successfully made custom brackets for this combination? There is VERY little "meat" on the suspension fork's "bridge" to build on.?

FWIW, because I couldn't mount the front engine on the girlie bike, the twin Mits engines were subsequently mounted on a new Raleigh 7-speed cruiser with solid front fork. Due to the extra weight and solid fork, the ride is VERY harsh. As soon as I find resolution to this issue, I'll move the girlie's bike's suspension fork over to "Mr. Hyde," this monstrous creation.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, ocscully. I might consider buying a front rack. If I can find the right one,the struts and mounting points would make a good foundation to attach the Staton mounting bracket.

The one you recommended would intwere with the friction drive housing.

This one is lower, and might work, and it's MUCH cheaper with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Rack-Shock-Treatment-Bicycle/dp/B000ACAMHY

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well, I bought that Delta front-rack mount and I'm glad I did. It installed easily and securely on my Rockshox fork and girlie cruiser, albeit with no instructions except pictures on the box. I set the engine assembly onto the bike for preliminary fitment. Everything lined up for a solid mounting, and pannier bags could probably fit, even with the engine installed.

When this school semester is over next week, I'll fabricate brackets which will attach to this rack and assist in mounting the Station front friction drive. Then I'll transfer everything over to my dual-engined bike.

More to follow in 12 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heaven, Your always Teasing us with these great ideas and No Money Shots, pics that is. Tell your daughter Santa aint coming over for Christmas until she helps you post some pics. HeHe. Can't wait to see the new ride.

Back