My GEBE Belt died. Dont leave home with out a extra

R

recumbentbill

While motoredbiking over the last 12 months I occasionally noticed a strange vibration. As the miles rolled by the vibration became more frequent. Today I noticed my tanaka reving a higher rpm at a lower mph:eek:. I was 10 miles from home when the engine reved with no pull. I coasted to a stop and after a quick inspection I discovered that the teeth on the GEBE[Gates] belt were completely gone and had turned to a dark fuzzy stuff that was wrapped around the idler.. I guess I have about 500 to 700 miles on the belt. My to do list now inclueds 1 carrying a extra belt in my tool pouch 2 drilling some small holes just above the axle drop outs on the GEBE motor rack that will align with the bicycle fender or pannier thread holes so I can attach the rack to the bike frame and making it easier to remove and replace the rear wheel. Changing a tire or fixing a rear flat is a real bear when dealing with the engine rack and a bike with rear derailuer;)

how about just putting 2 small "studs" in place to rest the rack on during wheel changeouts?

it's too bad your mishap made me think of this fix...what do you think?

With only 325 miles on my gebe I don,t know about the belt deal too much yet...I always pedal when I start out and am not agressive on the throttle either at take off. I think this is what contributes to all the belt/spoke problems I read about...just my opinion...After this summers riding I can give a better review on all this. I have my engine frame mounted.

The "vibration" you noticed was the belt teeth slipping on the drive gear. 500 miles is about what I'm getting from mine as well. I keep a close eye on tracking, but it doesn't seem to help with the 500 mile belt issue. There is always belt dust on the engine mounting plate, and under my idler arm/lever. Again I weigh in at 340 lbs though. That's what I'm blaming my belt wear on. When it comes to spokes, I have over 900 miles on these 10 guage spokes that were put in by "The Wheelmaster", and no problem yet. At any rate, don't feel like the "lone ranger" when it comes to belts.

i just sold a redmax gebe motor with over 5k on the belt no lie. but i always pedaled to help it out. my currant motor which i abuse totally shows no sign of belt wear but its only got about 200 miles on it.i will keep abusing mine and keep you posted.

Try goodyear belts they last a lot longer than cheap gates or dayco belts.......I have a 96 ford f-150 with all the original hoses still on there and their goodyear. Put a gates hose on and your lucky if it lasts 4 years. Goodyear belts are the same = better quality.

The problem would be most likely finding a goodyear belt with kevlar backing, and the right size to boot. If you know where to get a goodyear belt that will fit the GEBE setup, please lemme know! :)

Something else that definitely adds to the belt slippage issue is if the drive ring gets off center, or out of round, and makes the idler jump a lot. My ring is starting to get off center. Guess it's time to break out the truing stand, and the epoxy...lol.

Just my opinion but with all these gates belts breaking the kevlar isnt doing its job [?]. All belts are numbered according to their length so cross referencing the belts should be no problemo. Try a goodyear belt youll be pleasantly surprised even at the feel of it vs the cheapo belts.

Back