My hybrid/tribrid

Flapdoodle

Local time
12:02 AM
I got my hybrid (or tribrid) running.

I could not think of a way to make a dual throttle, so I used an old shift lever to make a thumb throttle. It is mounted under the bar so I can activate if as I twist the electric throttle. Other than that it was a straight forward installation.

There is a page for the bike here:
http://flapdoodle.250free.com/80cc.html

hybrid-1.jpg

Weight breakdown (I weigh 170)
Bike ~55#
E-motor 14.5#
Batteries 28.5#
Gas engine ~20#
Total 118#

Cost breakdown
Bike $66
motor 149 including shipping
E-motor 375
Total $ 590
(however there were other items that were added because I wanted to)

I considered the charge voltage too high with the included charger and adjusted it downward with the tiny pot next the output cable to cut off at 41 volts.

On the first test I got it up to 17 mph on a slight upgrade and a good headwind (NWS said 21 mph) on electric only. More testing will be posted here when it quits raining.

My driveway is loose gravel that has never allowed me to drive on it using gas, but I can now using electric only. (There was an SUV, and a Harley get stuck in the gravel).

The motor has three heavy wires that I assume are power, though actually they look a bit light for 600 watts (600/36=16.6 amps). I plan to replace them with heavier gage wire eventually.

There are 4 lighter wires I think are control. Rotating the wheel with a digital voltmeter indicated a disappointing 7 volts. Maybe it needs a control voltage to make it work? It does have electric braking capabilities, and electronic cruise control that I have yet to figure out how to make work. May have to disassemble the controller and trace out the circuit to learn what makes it tick.

Did the battery pack come with the motor?,what type batteries &capacity?.Why the hybrid setup,climbing hills?.This may be 3 phase variable freq. synchronous motor ,hence 3 power cables.BTW the current in each is about 0.6 of the dc current for the same power.Your bike looks pretty spiffy!

Last edited by a moderator:
3 SLA 12v, 12A batteries came with it.
I am not too able anymore, and the electric gets me out to the road and gets the gas engine started. Also nice in town with frequent stops, plus peace of mind in the gas quits in town (7 miles away).

Nearest hill is quite some distance from me. This is high plains and flat as a pancake as far as you can see.

Thanks for the suggestion on the three wires, and I bet you are right. It acts like a synchronous motor.

Yes! That's looking good, you did a nice job with that.
It's really great to see this kind of innovation going on here and that's a heck of a package for under $600.

I'm curious on the 55# bike weight. What do you reckon the bike weighed before you added anything?

These synchronous jobs are actually pretty nice,the motor is quite simple,no commutators brushes etc.The complications are in the electronics,which as you&I know are quite reliable

I'm curious on the 55# bike weight. What do you reckon the bike weighed before you added anything?

Thanks! I think that was the weight as it came from WalMart. If I had known I would like MB-ing so much I would have got a better model.

BTW, the wheelbase is 2" shorter than most bikes.

That seems heavy Bill, just for the bike. It would be interesting to get her on a scale somehow, you might be surprised you're coming in lighter than you think.

First I went to WalMart online to see what the weight is. No luck. Discontinued.

Digital bath scale gives 37.5 front and 76.5 rear with gas and tools for a total of 114 pounds. It has bigger tires, better seat, and fenders so the original weight was ~40-45#

On the flats weight is not all THAT important,except when getting up to speed.&braking.But here in the hills of VA,where the only flat stretches are at the bottom&top of hills,it's a rather different story

I got a chuckle from that. Used to live in Eastern Oregon where if you were not going up, you were going down. If you were not turning left, you were turning right. One hairpin curve was so tight I could swear I could see my own tail lights.

The road signs were humorous. On a road that was shaking my car apart... "rough road ahead". On one that I could barely keep the wheels on the pavement... "Road narrows"

Last edited:
Back