My hybrid/tribrid

The magneto is grounded to the HT internally. I have the controller apart and it has no provision for a frame ground. Need to check at the e-motor though.

It occurred to me that there is a limit to the wire size that can go to the e-motor because the wires have to pass through the axle nut.

I will twist the hall effect wires to reduce induction as soon as I sort them out. (there are 5, not 4 as I said originally.)

Thanks for the input.

I had to reverse it because I have limited motion in my right arm. It also has an extension to make it higher. Took a lot of trial and error to make it comfy. Very uncomfortable and tiring to ride with it the "proper" way. Yes it does look odd, even to me. The downside is I tend to bump my knees at times with it closer.

A supplier

Did the battery pack come with the motor?,what type batteries &capacity?.Why the hybrid setup,climbing hills?.This may be 3 phase variable freq. synchronous motor ,hence 3 power cables.BTW the current in each is about 0.6 of the dc current for the same power.Your bike looks pretty spiffy!

Great job on the build. Great idea. Nice back up plan also.

Here is a supplier for the 600 watt Kit including batteries with free shipping. (375.00)
Great starter kit to get electrified. I already have 317mi in 21/2 weeks on my fat tire build.
They are friendly. Great communication, quick shipping. My vids show it in action.
http://www.myebike.net/

Does anybody know anything (not just opinions) about the efficiency of these motors at low speed like hill climbing?.I'm looking into a hybrid with about a 400W motor/charger,to supplement the battery for extending range.What is the max charge rate for these SLA's

I looked into it before buying my kit. Most have about 80% efficiency at about 80% load, and the poorest at the speeds I would be cruising at. In other words, it should be best when hill climbing and starting out from a stop.

There are some efficiency figures here for Chinese motors:
http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/E-bike_Motor.html

The charger that came with mine claims 1.8 Amps and a charge time of 6-8 hours. My theory on these batteries is they are not as forgiving to overcharging as non-sealed batteries, but that is based on experience rather than any scientific data. Once the plates warp, its life is pretty much over.

Okay, I have shielded the control wires and it seemed to help. When I am able to use the e-motor with the g-motor, it really accelerates. Last thing I did was shield the sparkplug wire. It did not make any difference at all.

The bike does what I originally wanted; a way to get it through the gravel to the road without exhausting me, allows back up in case the g-motor fails, and store-to-store hopping on the e-motor. I am going to just ride it until I can put a scope on it someday.

Last edited:
That figures,it's mostly inductive (current loops) interference from current on blue wire I think.

I looked at the blue wire. It goes directly from the magneto to the CDI. The ground side of the CDI went to the kill switch. Replaced that now with an inline mini phone jack. The phone plug is shorted, and attached to a SS lanyard and ring I happened to have. Locktite was used on the screw that attaches the lanyard to the plug.

Now I can use both motors at the same time up to about half e-throttle. Maybe with some more thinking I can solve that.

VERY NICE BIKE!!! Gas+Electric is the ultimate for a bicycle!

I see you have tried several things to help reduce the interference. Have you tried shielding the entire group of wires to the motor? What I mean is to wrap a wire, or braided jacket, or other conducting material around the motor wires, and ground it. This should help absorb some of the emitted interference.

Also RadioShack sells shielded audio cable on a roll. You could try replacing the thinner motor sensor wires with the shielded cable, and also replace your "blue" wire with the shielded cable, and use the center conductor as your main wire, and ground the outer shielding in the wires to prevent interference. TV Coax cable would also be a substitute for the shielded audio cable.

Just a few ideas. It seems you are figuring it out step by step. Many of us here would love to be riding a hybrid bicycle!

NICE BUILD!

Last edited:
Back