My Long-Ride; A Run For The Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

augidog

Local time
8:34 AM
well, the alaskan prologue is coming to an end, and it's time to ponder "what's next?"

slackbiker's reply in the other topic brought to mind the Pablo Cruise lyrics "it's time to find your place in the sun"...and when i debark the ferry in bellingham wa in early october, that's exactly what i'm gonna do...

obviously, i'll be heading south in a hurry. at this point, i have to say i don't wanna do the coastal highway south, but i also don't wanna cross the mountains east too far north. i think i'm in for some tough riding no matter the choice. i think i'm in for some tough camping (when available this late in the season) along the way, too. this will be a marathon sprint to warmer weather, so i guess i'll have to tough it out.

once i'm back in the lower-48 and scheduling is my own again, my budget should be back on track quickly. i'm shedding some pounds off the payload, but not much really...as i sure do like having tools parts clothing and other conveniences handy. i don't have the "luxuries" of road-support or a home-base, this is me & the bike & a modest monthy check.

i'm good for 100+ miles a day if need be, weather isn't an issue while riding only during layovers when i need to rest and recover. so, because as i've said "i like to ride but i'm no wilderness-man," i'm unashamedly putting out a call for (realistic) suggested routes and possible crash-points along the way.

The devil's in the details, but i would take I-90 to Ellensberg, 97 to Bend, 20 to Riley, and then 395 all the way South. That side of the mountains should be dryer. Mammoth Lakes has lots of free campgrounds and usually has O.K. weather in early Oct. An extremely difficult side trip could take you to Winter crash paradise, Saline Valley hotspring in Death Valley. There are also the Long-Term camps, Niland, Anzo Borrego, Yuma, Quartzite in the Southern Cal area.

you sure know yer way around...and you make sense, too...when time comes, i'll research that option. thank you.

a request for (un)moderation!
would someone PLEASE put things back the way they were? pt. 1 "My Long-Ride; The Alaskan Prologue" is ending soon and should be UNstickied, and pt. 2 "My Long-Ride; A Run For The Sun" is starting soon.
thanking you in advance.

well, some bad news...i damaged my mobile screen and can't see anything...i may not be able to access the last batch of pictures for posting in the alaskan thread. shoot i don't like what you guys did with merging my topics anyways so maybe it's no big deal.

I am sorry to hear that your screen has been damaged. If you do not have an extended service plan on it, it can get expensive to repair.
Not to mention locating a town with a repair shop, getting to it, and camping there until it is repaired.

Augi....sorry to hear you left Alaska..your posts and pictures made for some good reading and viewing while working in my garage at night....whats next..how about Mexico and on into Central America...more stuff for that book you are going to put together

well, the mix-up was a moderation glitch...i am still in alaska but am winding down...see the topic for updates...this topic, the "next chapter", is here to help me prepare and decide what to do next...by the time i DO leave alaska, i expect we'll all have a pretty good idea of what's next.

I would have to take a good long rest after your trip ! My back & neck could never take what you have gone through !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back