My Long-Ride The Alaskan Prologue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington can be a wet ride, but you knew that before you started. Looks like you're doing well at finding the silver linings of the clouds.
The weather up here has been pretty good lately. I hope it's like that when you get here.
Got a great view of a Brown Bear on the way to work yesterday. It was standing on it's back legs with the front paws on the guard rail (looking both ways before crossing the street).
(Just a teaser about what you might see when you get here).
Looking forward to seeing you again Augie.
Van

let's belay that man's man talk, and just agree that i'm a long-rider and i'm pretty good at it...the "rain-forest" torrent of yesterday's ride only served to demonstrate i built a good MB and i know how to ride it.

but, the rig, and my attitude, are not suited to the sneaky in & out camping that was bama's style, tho now i find i'm going to be adapting quickly...tho i tried to stretch this ride out as long as i could, it seems i have arrived long before the boat will be in bellingham...in my excitement i wasn't paying attention & misunderstood some details.

the comfortable fees & conditions of raymond & elma are not typical and i am now in a bit of a pickle...i hear tell of free-but-rough camping in a local county park and will be chasing down that lead today.

updates are gonna taper off as i adapt to my new situation...i'll have to get by until my ships comes in...literally, hehe...more whenever i have something worth reporting.

Last edited:
take lots of pics when you get up to alaska, cant wait to see the views and hear the stories, Relax and enjoy your R&R waiting for the boat am sure your body will be grateful in the longrun.

Augi, Ride for all of us and keep us abreast of everything.....like bama did, right down to washeteria visits. (lol) I will resend info as requested, untill then....
Ride on brother,
Daryl

Ferry

Augie...Check out the Ferry Connections from Anacordes, Point Roberts area, and in between...they are really quite cheap, and the scenery is fantastic. They are mostly 'mail boats' that hit all of the Puget Sound and North Islands. Some have only one or two houses on them...a few have more, like 'Lummy Island' had a small general store and some cabins. I am sure, however, over the years that has changed. I have done that a number of times, on the old boats (my oldest favorite was the Klickitat, long gone by now), but a lot of fun...meet good people, drink hot cocoa, and enjoy. Slow, noisy, quieter, and a lot of fun. Meet people, laugh, share, even if you don't speak a word of Inuit. You will communicate just fine, laughing all the time, and respecting each other.It's fun, Augie, and I only wish...Enjoy!

If you follow the train tracks south along the coast, there used to be places you can camp. Also, if you follow the bike trail between Bellingham and Fairheven, you might find a place to camp. Just towards town from the Ferry terminal is a loop though the cherry and apple trees, you might find a place to camp there. Best would be to find a Harley Chick who will take you home.

Best would be to find a Harley Chick who will take you home.

Van: are you really trying to sabotage the trip......one good Harley Chick is enough for Augi....another one and he might quit MB's alltogether, call off the trip and then we will find him on a Harley site talking about his new life.

Augi...Van has it by the tail (so-to-speak.) I've been there and done that...The areas he talks of, not the Harley Chick...you are on your own in that department.<g> It is a great place, tho, economy severely depressed, and there should be nodobody to hassle you about spending the night, but just be very, very, very careful about 'security' in that area. Just take care and keep your head about you...K?
You should find some very good mom & pop eating places...just be sure, that from there on, you make sure to tell them you don't want any meat (beef especially) that has been 'tenderized'...ask point-blank, and you can usually tell by the mushy sort of consistency when you take your first bite. You will be sorry if you eat it. Van will fix you up with some fine Elk and other steaks...And Livingston, Montana has the best beef steak I have ever had...even whips the Stock Yard Inn, and Como's in Chicaco!

Last edited:
silver linings...

- all my gear (in pack & "trunk") is completely dry

- the schwalbe marathons are a stone-groove & likely the reason for such a successful ride.

- i've just enjoyed one HECK of a 3-week birthday party.

- i still have a more than adequate food-budget.

- i have a lot of good friends & more on the way.

great advice, fellas...thank you...today i'm heading for "riverfront park" in Sedro Wooley and will take it from there.

btw- one harley chick is enuff, tyvm...lol, i told her i'm afraid a good hook-up would stop my ride cold...too funny y'all were thinking the same thing.

"Riverfront Park"

done deal!

i'll post some pics of my campsite when i get'er dun :cool:

Attachments

• Photo05231035.jpg
    Photo05231035.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back