My Moondog is done !

Here she is. This weekend won't get here fast enough.

Attachments

• P3270181.JPG
    P3270181.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 2,754
Would wrapping Teflon tape on the rim of the gas cap lip help stop the leak?

This leak is coming from the cap vent hole. The cork gasket is still perfect.
I'm thinking maybe "cheesecloth" stuffed into that little void beneath the vent hole. That should keep the gas from splashing through that hole. I'm still gonna look for a new cap though. In the meanwhile, keeping the fuel level lower will have to do.
Well, time to saddle up again.
- Al

For the 100. price, it's a value, but I wish the frame had the welds of the Schwinns. If this frame fails me, I can strip everything off, and use it all on another frame. I guess time will tell. So far, I couldn't be happier.

Wonder if it would be hard to find a springer for it. Well I'm sold I'm going to pick mine up next week.

I Googled some sites and all of them warn you to NOT use Teflon tape that comes in contact with gasoline. So scratch my idea. :mad: (But in my defense, if it's only around the lid of the gas cap or somewhere else you can easily get to, then why NOT use Teflon tape? Even if does start to get spongy when in touch with gasoline, you have all the time and access you need to simply wipe it dry and retape it. Just as long as it doesn't quickly dissolve into a goopy mess that drips into your tank. But if you're one of those people who want it to be done right and stay right the very first time then steer away and use something else.)

Some sites mention other kinds of tape you CAN use in the presence of gasoline but of course none of them remembered the name of those products. It was said that you can find them at home supply stores.

So far, cheese cloth sounds really great!!

Last edited:
I Googled some sites and all of them warn you to NOT use Teflon tape that comes in contact with gasoline. So scratch my idea. :mad: (But in my defense, if it's only around the lid of the gas cap or somewhere else you can easily get to, then why NOT use Teflon tape? Even if does start to get spongy when in touch with gasoline, you have all the time and access you need to simply wipe it dry and retape it. Just as long as it doesn't quickly dissolve into a goopy mess that drips into your tank. But if you're one of those people who want it to be done right and stay right the very first time then steer away and use something else.)

Some sites mention other kinds of tape you CAN use in the presence of gasoline but of course none of them remembered the name of those products. It was said that you can find them at home supply stores.

So far, cheese cloth sounds really great!!

I had teflon tape on the fuel valve threads of my first bike. (recommended in instructions). I removed valve to find a gooey mess on the threads. Had to use a toothpick and tweezers to get the rest out. Don't use it.

Well, now I'm going to make it my task to find out what kind of tape you CAN use around gasoline. Stay tuned...

Here's what I've found for leaky gas lids:

===
for the threads
===
permatex 3J (or 3H or 3D, same stuff just different size containers)
RectorSeal No. 7
yellow teflon tape

===
for the hole in the lid
===
cork gasket
cheesecloth

I'm thinking of using one of those first 2 putties, the yellow teflon tape, & the cork gasket maybe with some plastic between it and the lid (someone said that's what their lawnmower gas cap looked like inside).

Attachments

• DSCN0057.jpg
    DSCN0057.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Back