My motor mount is broken off in the motor and reverse tap i used broke too.

ElMicNip

Local time
9:29 PM
Hi, (deep breath) my rear chain side engine mount is broken inside motor about 1/8 inch deep. The reverse tap i used snapped off almost flush with the stud (strengthening it, i think) I already broke 2 titanium bits and 1 cobalt bit. Is this fruitless. I'm thinking about jerry rigging something like multiple mount system w/ some metal epoxy or something and just buy a new motor when i get a few extra buck. I dont know but im just about to ride it till its dead and start anew. Any advice would be welcome. Also, i did search forums and i found something about tungsten easy out breaking but he had some bolt exposed. I dont. Thank you.

that happened to me one time when I was putting a 4g63 mitsubishi motor together. Over torqued one of the bolts on the tensioner pully. Had to drill it out and re tap the hole... added about a day in driving, going to the store, and labor. Sorry man I feel for ya...

Last edited:
from what I have seen
drilling into a hardened tap is almost imposible
would take this one to my local machine shop

why play around when the expert one can get down ???

note -- they usually enjoy seeing these THINGS so much
usually repaired at a very fair price..

MM

Relatively easy solution (have been there and done this many times on older turbo engines with snapped bits and easy outs):

1) You'll need a moto tool and 2-3 diamond bits (see your local HF)

2) Chuck up a ball shaped bit and carefully grind the hard metal and most of the stud out. Diamond will cut through any steel, just go easy and keep the diamond dust in the hole, switch to the next bit when progress stops, etc

3) Clean the hole out, drill and tap hole

4) better than new!

If someone stopped by, I would do it for free. No need for a "machine shop" for my method. Just a good bench and good lighting.

Mail thing seems like be hassle though.

Pablo,
Thanks for the tip, I've got a "junk" engine with a broken ez out in in and I'm too cheap to take it to a machine shop. I'll give this tip a try and let all know how it worked.

Thanks for the advice people. When I get frustrated I get impatient (most people probably do). I already spent the night in the basement cussing and kicking things. I broke another bit. I'll try diamond next and if that don't work I'm gonna glue it (I know its not a good idea) I don't care anymore. It's only a 60cc anyway and in September I'm gonna order a 66cc motor. I just spent $200 on new upgrade parts and I'm just going to save them for my next motor. I'm thinking a stretched cruiser w/ a powdercoat(??color??). I'll be happier building a bike from scratch anyways, I will know ALL parts of quality. I'm tired of putting money into other peoples poor workmanship. Thanks again Y'all.

Back