Break In My motor moves without lulling the throttle

• Thread starter Deleted member 27734
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27734

The throttle in the Flying Horse kit I got is acting super sketchy. It worked decently the first time it ran, but now seemingly has no effect. When I can get the motor to run, I can't get it to stop without flipping the choke on the carburetor. It accelerates automatically, should I just buy a new throttle assembly?

TLDR My motor ran well the first time, but most of the time doesn't start or only runs for a few seconds. When I do get it to run, it accelerates on its own. I only finished building it yesterday morning, and tried to run it yesterday evening and this morning.

Uh... It's not tldr if both paragraphs before and after the tldr are basically the same length, especially when the first one wasn't very long to begin with!

Internetonyms aside, you almost definitely developed an air leak.

Start the bike up and get a spritz bottle with water or grab brake cleaner or carb cleaner even a medium sized paintbrush soaked in acetone and probe around near the areas where the carb and intake meet, along with intake and cylinder, Cy eckhart gasket zones and the oil seals on the crank under the mag and under the small gear.

If you pull a cover you'll likely have a puddle of oil/fuel come out from under it if it's one of the crank seals.

Look around for the leak it should be easy to find, could be as easy as snugging the intake nuts down a little.

assuming you opened carb when you built it, you can open it again and see if throttle cable is pulling it - if it is working right, then your problem is most likely an air leak, if not working right, fix it

Uh... It's not tldr if both paragraphs before and after the tldr are basically the same length, especially when the first one wasn't very long to begin with!

Internetonyms aside, you almost definitely developed an air leak.

Start the bike up and get a spritz bottle with water or grab brake cleaner or carb cleaner even a medium sized paintbrush soaked in acetone and probe around near the areas where the carb and intake meet, along with intake and cylinder, Cy eckhart gasket zones and the oil seals on the crank under the mag and under the small gear.

If you pull a cover you'll likely have a puddle of oil/fuel come out from under it if it's one of the crank seals.

Look around for the leak it should be easy to find, could be as easy as snugging the intake nuts down a little.

lmao yeah I noticed that about the tldr as well, I was thinking that same thing.
How do I check for air leaks if I can barely get it to start up occasionally? and when it does start up, I feel like lifting the wheel while it's accelerating that much could be damaging. I need to be able to get this to work as soon as possible.

air leak that bad should be noticeable by eye - had a customer in last week with many problems, but from 8 feet away I told her she had carb problems (way too much intake showing) - picked up a piece of safety wire, put it in slot behind carb fastening ring, and it went right thru into intake - when carb is all the way on, that slot is blocked by intake

air leak that bad should be noticeable by eye - had a customer in last week with many problems, but from 8 feet away I told her she had carb problems (way too much intake showing) - picked up a piece of safety wire, put it in slot behind carb fastening ring, and it went right thru into intake - when carb is all the way on, that slot is blocked by intake
I opened up the (throttle assembly?) removing it from the top of the carburetor. The throttle was caught over the tabs and would not move. Could this have been the problem? I don't see any visible problems.

Thing is, I'm a bit afraid to test it because I don't want something bad to happen while I'm on it.

not sure what you are calling tabs - what kind of carb is it

My very best guess is he didn't insert the carb barrel correctly, it was sitting on top of either the aligning peg or the idle screw, both I think he called needles just not referring to the normal needle we all else are thinking.

Back