ky biker

Local time
3:53 AM
It will get motorized

Attachments

• richshaw.jpg
    richshaw.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 481
except for the square tubing under the seat that looks very old. could be worth some big bucks to the right person. great find

I found a emblem on the forks that says HIND BICYCLE CO. BOMBAY INDIA

That "Made in India" would probably best describe the ornate bike I saw in Denver, across the street from the Oriental Theater.

I took 2 pix of it, because I'd never saw such a thing before.

So I'm gonna call that on the road puzzler "solved", thx KB!

Attachments

• denver 039.jpg
    denver 039.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 411
  • denver 040.jpg
    denver 040.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Hind was a well known and high quality producer of bicycles, headquartered in Mumbai (Bombay). In 1980 it went into receivership and was nationalized by the Indian government as the National Bicycle Corporation of India. As late as the end of the 1990's they were producing upwards of 1,200 bicycles/day. There were questions in the ministry of heavy inductry (responsible for management of the company) in 1997-98 as regards the continuing viability of the company, and an effort began to close it down and liquidate its assetts.

That plan was successfully opposed by the work force, which proved the company had been looted of its principal equipment assetts by the management with the collusion of persons in the ministry. The resulting tribunal before the high court saw the ministry instead ordered to make good the equipment losses and to grant to the company a cash infusion to replace the losses sustained due to work slow-downs caused by removal of equipment.

Hind no longer exists as such, but most of their models of bicycles are still produced (including the bicycle taxis) in Mumbai. Excellent quality machines, rather old-fashioned designs.

Back