My new money pit

Old Busted Hotness

DSC00611-1.jpg

1988 Crown Victoria, Southern import, 49K miles and rust free. It's got some typical old-car BS to sort out, but over the summer this will transition into my new daily driver. If they're not gonna fix the roads around here, I'll just drive something that laughs at potholes.

Original 31-year-old paint is damn near flawless, and there's really no rust on the body, visible or not. This was a $20,000 car in 1988, or $43K in today's money.

DSC00612-1.jpg

Captain's quarters, the Blue Velour Suite. How times change: No cupholders but 4 ashtrays.

DSC00613-1.jpg

Temporary (?) solution to the dry-rotted tires. Sort of like wearing Nikes to the opera. It's up on stands so I could fix a fuel leak. It's back on the ground now, and no longer douching the driveway with unleaded.

Drive a modern car and you'll really appreciate this old boat. Visibility is God-like. All 4 corners are easy to see, the pillars are thin enough that not even a skinny kid on an MB is gonna evade my gaze. No electronic nannies or explosives, no touch screen, no stupid snarling face. Yeah, it's kind of slow, and it wallows a bit (okay, a lot). It's not a BMW and it doesn't want to be.

This is my third '88CV, and by far the nicest. The last one was 20 years ago, and it's good to be back on the bridge.

JerboaJohn

i bet it's a comfy ride! love old boats for long trips. my dad had this old Imperial for ever but I never got it. it'd been so cool to have a blower up thru the hood and RWL tires hahaha

Spare_Parts

Velor lol! As a smoker I hate velor.

Cool old boat. Hade a 1969 Buick Wildcat for a year or so and even doing 60 in the woods it gave a soft ride. Rode in my share of crown vics, mostly in the back seat from doing dumb sh*t haha!

wheelbender6

My dad drove the station wagon version of that car for years (except his was a Ford LTD). It was surprisingly agile for a full size car.

FNTPuck

Nice score! FL has a lot of those still on the roads but all of those generation of big cars are getting harder and harder to find...the CVs, Grand Marquis', Continentals, big body Impalas, etc.

Gotta find an LT1 Roadmaster now, those are basically Crown Vics that can run 12's in the 1/4 mile! They look pretty sweet in black too.

GreasyChris

That's a nice solid looking rig. Keep the oil changed and keep her from rusting out and she will last another 30 plus years. Cops and cabbies beat the sh*t out of them for years and if they still made them they would still use them. Good find. :D

Old Busted Hotness

Dealing with old-car BS for now, but it'll soon be in service again.

The biggest problem is the transmission. This thing sat for so long that it's gummed up and not shifting properly. Given the bootleg fuel-tank repair (the o-ring I needed to replace had been "repaired" by smearing it with epoxy, and that worked about as well as you'd expect) I suspect that they adjusted the line pressure to keep it out of OD. OD is missing in action and it holds second for waaaayyy too long. Took it to a tranny shop, we'll see what they can do with it.

The rest of the stuff is typical of what I'd do to any used car: Belts & hoses, fluid changes, tires. The brakes are in good shape, and once I put the temporary rubber on, the "OMG this thing needs an alignment" behavior went away. The AC needs a charge (and it's R-12, so that'll be fun) and the radio only plays out of the right-hand speakers.

I'm looking at it this way: The cheapest new car you can get is a Mitsubish Mirage, for $14,000, and by all accounts it's a hateful little shitbox. So if my total comes in under that for a car that I actually like, I'm ahead of the game. So far I've got $7500 in it, plus some sweat equity. Worst-case scenario on the tranny is about $1500. Another 500 for tires (maybe later, sort of diggin the slot mags) and whatever the AC needs.... I should be in for 10 grand when it's all said and done.