My new Stealth-e-bike

Heya all, I have been toying with the thought of a e-bike for a while, so I decided to pull my finger out and build one.

I didnt want it as noticable as my HT. More a bike no one would give a second look at, and I think I have that.

It just runs a legal 200W hub motor, I can get 25-30km/hr out of it so it isnt a speed monster like my HT. But its stealthy and silent, and a good start I think into electrics. I have already decided to upgrade it to a 900W 36v system that runs through the bike gears that will give me the speed I want. But as I said its a good start :)

The most interest in the bike is the lighting system. I followed the idea's here.
http://www.dansworkshop.com/Monster Quartz Halogen Bike Light.shtml

And it works brilliantly. I used a red LED downlight at the rear and a 20W 36° Halogen at the front. The light output is phenominal compared to the usual bike lights.

I have a 50W 10° spotlight as well I just havent fitted it yet.

Anyway heres a few pictures, let me know what you think :D

Attachments

• StealthE.JPG
    StealthE.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 713
  • Batts.JPG
    Batts.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 402
  • Headlight.JPG
    Headlight.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 388
  • Taillight.jpg
    Taillight.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 399
Last edited by a moderator:
Its the thing I like about it, infinitely reliable (will be my daily ride to work), and totally stock looking.

Nothing that screams "steal me", no stickers to say its an expensive frame, no engine to see, just a bag on the back and a bare bike.

And to buy a eBike pre made is about a grand, bugger that for a joke.

Great idea, well executed.

My wife and I camp in our RV all over the country and have been talking about getting or making electric bikes as a way to excursions from the campground. We've tried a motorcycle (too noisy and too heavy to haul around) moped (not allowed in some campgrounds, only holds one person and she won't ride it) and bikes, too tiring for longer trips. A stealthy electric would be just the ticket.

Just keep an eye on your suspension fork. I doubt you'll have a problem running a 200w motor but I've heard they don't like being pulled on and flexed at the same time because it will eventually cause them to fail. Just keep it in mind if you're going to increase power do it through your rear wheel. It is very stealth. Nice job!

Thanks Jakes.

The higher powered models Im looking at run through the rear wheel and use the rear deraileur for gearing (supposidly to a top speed of 44mph+).

I agree that the front forks were never designed for lateral movement. Would be downright dangerous with a high powered front hub, even my 200W spins the wheel on loose/wet surfaces due to the flat torque curve of an electric motor.

Back