My New Tandem Project

Tom

Local time
9:40 AM
Just picked up this old tandem for $100. Installed front breaks on it for 10.

I would either have to modify the frame to get a happy time to fit, or install a rack mounted motor.

Gotta make sure the throttle/clutch cables will reach all the way back there!

Attachments

• 100_2144.jpg
    100_2144.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 393
cool ride !!!
if you take her for rides, maybe she won't hate the bike as much LOL
they make kits for long recumbents, I'm sure they make a kit that fits:D

wow, Tom has an official "fleet"...a rack-mount would rock that bicycle 8)

sweet! yeah, you're prolly gonna need some custom cables built. i spoke with a guy that had a tandem w/70cc on, and he said on level ground it still pulls with just bare minimum of pedaling.

In Chatellerault, France there is a bicycle/ motorcycle/ car museum that has a motor assisted tandem on display. Because all the other items were factory built, I assume that it too was a production item. It looked a lot like our kit motors.

Why not front mount a GEBE type rack kit?

Would solve the problem of long cable runs and you could run the exhaust down to the very bottom of the front forks in a similar way to alot of the european classic machines.

Or if you are feeling suitably insane and have alot of cash you could make up a dualie belt setup using the twin brake lever as throttles for both engines...

You could even set that up so as you'd use one engine for standard routes and cruising - and fire up the second for hard hills or fast running.

if you could find a 52mm manual clutch for the rearmost engine you'd be able to start it while underway and shut it down as required...

and yes, I am a certifiable nutcase lol

Jemma xx

:cool:Nice ride! I believe my wife would like to ride a tandem, especially if she will rarely pedal.:rolleyes:

It doesn't look like a happy time engine will fit your frame.

Like Jemma, I'd also consider two engines. It'd be a front-mounted 1.25hp ROBIN 4-stroke for cruising and excellent mileage. In the rear would be a 2.2hp MITSUBISHI engine w/STATON gear chain drive for conquering steep hills.

Myron

Hey Hey Hey, I got two of those tandum frames. One is a newer one but the other is a 1969 Schwinn that is a rust bucket but its all there and could be rebuilt. They are here if anyone is interested in a project let me know... Tom in WV

I have been wanting a tandem, I know I need another bike like I need a whole in my head, but I never had one & would like to play around with on. try1897 pm me if interested in selling.

How's this project comming along Tom? Made up your mind as to how you will motorize it?

Back