My new Tuned Pipe!

Home Made Silencer/Muffler

Well it's finally here. I got the first production pipe from SCSW/Pipelyne. It uses your old silencer and the noise level is almost the same as the stock exhaust.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7854/bike002og7.jpg

Hey, that's cool. Any idea of the cost?

Besides just getting into motorized bikes, I also build and fly homebuilt aircraft, and we used to get complaints from the neighbors because our two-stroke engines were too loud as we flew over the neighbors' houses.

We now make our own silencers for the 2-stroke Rotax engines by taking two used spray paint cans, cutting off the bottoms, and cutting a 1" hole in the top (around where the spray tip is located). Next, take a piece of stainless sheet steel mesh, with 1/4" holes, and roll it up so that it is a 1" diameter cyclinder about 18" long (the length of the two cans end-to end).

Next, wrap the stainless mesh cyclinder with fiberglass insulation, and cram the two spray paint cans over it so that the mesh cyclinder ends stick out of the tops of the two spray paint cans, and the paint can bottoms butt together.

Weld the bottoms together, then weld this into your exhaust system. I think this will work great for two stroke engines for bikes, too. (I haven't tried it yet!) Although this didn't really save any money, we love to build stuff just to say we did it!

BE SURE to TOTALLY clean the spray paint cans of all solvents and paint before welding on them !!!!

Paint it black, and you ready to roll!

SpaceRat

P.S. Don't make the mistake of using aluminum mesh instead of stainless steel, like I did. The aluminum will melt, the insulation will clog the exhaust, and the motor will die. Fortunately, on a bicycle, you just pull over to the side of the road. In an airplane, it could be kind of scary if it happens at 5000 feet! (Fortunately, I was on the ground when it happened)

I've found that using a green scrub pad (for pots and pans) works great on silencers too.
The pipes retail for $150 + shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken - Did you ever get to put the slots in the piston of the Happy time engine with the reed valve? I am still waiting for someone to do it. I can't wait to hear how well it ran. I know it will work good. Have fun, Dave

Why is it bent upward? Wouldn't down around the crank and then following chain stays make more sense?
Not really especially if you're trying to make a standard pipe that will easily fit numerous types of frames. I've been using one since day one and not once has the pipe burnt me and I ride in shorts every time.

Not really especially if you're trying to make a standard pipe that will easily fit numerous types of frames. I've been using one since day one and not once has the pipe burnt me and I ride in shorts every time.

your bike is gangsta bro thats what im talkin about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Back