My Next Build

...time to do the brake light... right...

PHAN_BRAKELIGHT1.jpg

...looks good mounted. Nice and bright too!

Now to decide if I want to wire it up as a running light as well (with switch). Frankly... I'm leaning toward not.... I dont' do hardly any night riding...

PHAN_BRAKELIGHT2.jpg

...looks good mounted. Nice and bright too!

Now to decide if I want to wire it up as a running light as well (with switch). Frankly... I'm leaning toward not.... I dont' do hardly any night riding...

View attachment 183018
Now wait a minute, is it a two or three wire light? A two wire light only has one function, where as a three wire light can be wired as a brake light too.

Three wire light... (package says STOP/TAIL/TURN).

;)
Yea, lots of those lights are packaged that way, but the light can only do one function. LEDs don't have two filaments, so you can't even check them that way. I only saw two wires in the package you presented above, of course the third could be coiled up and out of sight.

Black / White / Brown. Black + White = brake. Black + Brown = running. The running lamps are different LEDs separated from the brake lamp LEDs apparently as they also light up the clear "license plate" portion while the brake lamp does not illuminate that panel... (oh, and being the dork I am I managed to install the lamp upside down with said clear portion facing upward. No biggie as it's under the bag and you can't see it anyway but if I do decide to wire the running lamp portion, I'll have to flip it 180 degrees I think. I guess it's better to illuminate the tire than the underside of my cargo bag...)

Now... the best specs I can find say this unit draws .2 amps. My cheapo little battery is rated for 1.3 amp/hr ... that SHOULD mean I could run the thing for approximately 6.5 hours. That said... I don't know if that means just the running lamp, or what. What I do know is that the battery will last many trips as a brake lamp only.

Also of note... the brake lever uses different brake cable end pieces than the standard barrel brake end that I am used to. I mean, it WILL use them but they're not right. That's how I have it setup right now until I get the approprate brake cable. I assume it uses a 'motorcycle' style cable maybe? The lever is designed for ATV's etc...

EDIT: Evidently I need the "pear" style ends not the "barrel" style. I am guessing a little work with a dremel can rectify the situation completely.

The more I look at her now... the more I am thinking I might need to pick me up a nice sized head lamp instead of the little strap on... mostly for aesthetics as again my ocd is kicking in... the bike looks "uneven" to me (yes... it's a huge pain in the backside for me at times... NEVER EVER hand pictures with me)...

>sigh<

Will it ever end? (I secretely hope not.)

:D

Back