My Next Build

As documented in another thread... Phan had a bit of a hiccup. I stripped out the small bevel gear that interacts with the clutch bevel gear...

PHAN_BADGEAR1.jpg

PHAN_BADGEAR2.jpg

Yeah... ugly, huh? Keep those gears greased folks! Though I've read that even when properly greased these gears are pretty much "disposable parts" that will need to be replaced from time to time. Ideally, though... one will notice that said gear needs replacement BEFORE it gets to this point. The "good news" about all this is that frankly, I had no idea what was wrong or how to fix it... but since the motor was still in it's 6 month warranty (literally 2 weeks before it was to expire)... I emailed the fine folks at Bicycle Motors... provided multiple photos of the situation and ultimately it was THEIR determination that I needed a new motor... so they shipped me one. I, honestly, speak anything but praise about the folks at Bicycle Motors. They, quite frankly, could have... hell... SHOULD HAVE... shipped me a new clutch rebuild kit + bevel gear & seals and called it a day. Instead they went WAAAAY beyond what I was expecting to be honest... heck, even my "good case scenario" expectation was that they'd send me a new bottom-end. Nope... WHOLE MOTOR. Incredible customer service within warranty.... period.

Anyway... off the ebay I went and picked up 5 bevel gears (again... disposable part and all) in one listing. Next I picked up a whole clutch plate with black/tan pads ... complete ... in the next listing and finally I picked up some seals and gaskets in the last listing. Two of three made it to me Saturday with the clutch plate arriving Monday (it's currently sitting in Boise some 20 miles away).

Once I get that last part I can re-assemble... MAYBE.

I'm trying to decide if I should change that seal or not. It LOOKS undamaged... but @ImpulseRocket89 recommends doing so... just how much of a pain-in-the-backside is it to remove (screws + pliers?)... how hard is it to install a new one? Any recommended procedure?

PHAN_CLUTCH1.jpg

PHAN_CLUTCH2.jpg

As documented in another thread... Phan had a bit of a hiccup. I stripped out the small bevel gear that interacts with the clutch bevel gear...

View attachment 186976

View attachment 186977

Yeah... ugly, huh? Keep those gears greased folks! Though I've read that even when properly greased these gears are pretty much "disposable parts" that will need to be replaced from time to time. Ideally, though... one will notice that said gear needs replacement BEFORE it gets to this point. The "good news" about all this is that frankly, I had no idea what was wrong or how to fix it... but since the motor was still in it's 6 month warranty (literally 2 weeks before it was to expire)... I emailed the fine folks at Bicycle Motors... provided multiple photos of the situation and ultimately it was THEIR determination that I needed a new motor... so they shipped me one. I, honestly, speak anything but praise about the folks at Bicycle Motors. They, quite frankly, could have... hell... SHOULD HAVE... shipped me a new clutch rebuild kit + bevel gear & seals and called it a day. Instead they went WAAAAY beyond what I was expecting to be honest... heck, even my "good case scenario" expectation was that they'd send me a new bottom-end. Nope... WHOLE MOTOR. Incredible customer service within warranty.... period.

Anyway... off the ebay I went and picked up 5 bevel gears (again... disposable part and all) in one listing. Next I picked up a whole clutch plate with black/tan pads ... complete ... in the next listing and finally I picked up some seals and gaskets in the last listing. Two of three made it to me Saturday with the clutch plate arriving Monday (it's currently sitting in Boise some 20 miles away).

Once I get that last part I can re-assemble... MAYBE.

I'm trying to decide if I should change that seal or not. It LOOKS undamaged... but @ImpulseRocket89 recommends doing so... just how much of a pain-in-the-backside is it to remove (screws + pliers?)... how hard is it to install a new one? Any recommended procedure?

View attachment 186978

View attachment 186979
I would not be afraid to run that seal, & if it is seeping a bit, it can be replaced at a later date. To me it just looks like grease from your bevel gear around the seal area.

I only recommend changing it because the grease may have trapped metal that could have potentially damaged the seal a little, but it likely will still work fine. Run it for now, and if you have issues later it just requires removing the bevel gear to change.

Seen this before, Ya probably got a gear that wasn't hardened properly.

Maybe you should order from a few different sources so ya don't get gears that were all made in the same batch

Not sure...

Phantom 85 torque + 280lb man + Likely under lubed gear can certainly equal some bad stuff.

:)

It shouldn't of grinded down like that so fast, unless it was so out of alignment the gears were grinding
That bolt/screw that holds the gear on might of come loose causing the gear to become out of alignment
I've heard of this before

I know it's hard to believe China might of made a mistake, but it happens :ROFLMAO:
The gear wasn't hardened properly,

That gear is surface hardened, It's easy to miss the required hardening depth with a cheep manufacturing process
Gears are one of the most difficult items to harden correctly because of the teeth.

Back