My next project - Tadpole Trike

Alaskavan..I have read all your posts and studied the pics..two times ..you and that trike are definitely on the top of the heap... finished my first generic MB..I am thinking Tadpole now...your machine and you stand alone..outstanding

Last edited:
Thanks Tedd. A little update: I've had a couple of mechanical probs this summer. I spun a bearing in the dual freewheel rear axle. I couldn't find an exact replacement. The closest I could come was an SKF BR87500. It has the correct ID and OD, but it's a little thinner. An extra washer should take care of that, but I didn't end up using it. I remembered that I had an extra dual freewheel hub out in the shop. I took the bearings out of that. The other problem was the Stator. It stopped producing juice to recharge the battery. A fully charged battery would give me about 10 starts before it got too weak. I decided to take a look and see if I could fix it. I managed to destroy the coil that produces spark for the motor. I ended up buying a new Stator (about $25 on eBay). Replacing the unit was simple.
I took the Mikuni carb off and put the stock one back on. A serious decrease in HP. My top speed is now limited to about 45mph on the flat (plenty fast enough). My mpg should be around 130 -140 again.
I also replaced the Honda generator gas tank with the seat/gas tank from a Honda CT110. Now I need to add handles for the passenger seat, and another headlight. Then maybe it will be done.

I loved following this awesome build. I have looked at ads for tadpole style trikes, but I had never actually seen one untill a few weeks ago when I met a girl riding one on a bike path. I stopped her for a minute or two and really looked it over. What a remarkable little sled. I'm not sure I will ever get one for around here as they are a little wide for the bike paths I use. At any rate, thanks for the great thread. You have built a fine machine and are well justified in being proud of it and yourself.

Last Friday was a sunny day, about 40f. I thought I heard something over in the corner of the shop. I looked over there and saw the trike. I wandered over and caressed her seat. It seemed like she was trying to tell me something. I ran a hand over her controls. As I gently rubbed my thumb over the starter button, she said, "rrrrRun, I want to rrrRun". I may be old, but I'm not dead. How could I say "no" to a pretty young thing that wants to get frisky? I mounted up and went for a ride. Dang I like that trike.

way cool

Wow, can't believe I never stumbled across this thread before.

truly an awesome build!!

A couple questions for 'ya:

That lifan is 50cc correct?

You mentioned it was a CVT, is that confirmed, or is it the single speed version like off a kids quad?

The 5500 rpm, is that the typical operating range of these?

Anybody confirm the internal gear reduction in these things?

I am building something similar and trying to figure out the gearing. I picked up a wrecked kids quad with a perfect 50cc automatic single speed motor for $50. Hoping to put it in my old scooter frame. Hoping to do 25-30mph, and be able to start up from a dead stop without having to give her a push.

It sounds like I may have the same engine, so adjusting for my smaller wheels I think a 13front and 28 rear ought to be about right.

I'm running the largest sprocket I could mount on the engine, I think 17 tooth. I'm running something like a 30 tooth on the back. Is it 50cc? My answer to that is always "Anything more than 50cc would probably be illegal". Make what you will of that statement. It will run at 5500 rpm for long periods of time. I sometimes run mine up around 9000. No problem. I have no idea what the internal reduction is. I haven't been able to find a schematic. Oh, I assume that there's an internal CVT. I have run from a standing start to 55 mph. I think that would be a stretch for a single-speed.

Just an update; the passenger seat will accommodate a young lady (light) and it does get a little squirrely at 40 with that load distribution.

Well, I think it's time to start bringing this project to an end. She has performed better than my wildest dreams, but I have more dreams. The plan at this time is to finish her out - better headlight, turn signals, and brake light, strip her down and re-paint. Then I'll sell her (many spare electrical parts). I don't need to recoup the money I put in, I've gotten my money's worth. The trike itself cost me $2,000. That's what I'll sell her for. Shipping will be additional (and considerable from here). This should occur next spring some time. If you're interested, start saving your pennies. I'll put it in "Buy/Sell/Trade" when the time is right

Alaskavan....will you be starting another tadpole trike build (motorized)..or maybe just getting another to pedal around ?....kinda hard to give these tadpoles up once you have gotten one..this I do know..

The tadpole steers so good an the "up front" feel of it is so good that I'm sure I'll get back around to them, but. My next project is a full suspension, recumbent, delta style. I love the handling, and the experience of a tadpole, but for a daily commuter, I think suspension is the Holy Grail. I'll be thinking about how to apply that to a tadpole (any details about how HPVelotecknics does it would be apreciated), but I know how I can do it Delta - style (and I have most of the parts).

An observation- Many people have talked about trying to build leaning trikes, I don't know why, I can take any corner on my highway at or above the posted speeds - 45 or 50mph (with the trike sufficiently tuned and geared (and I've been there)). Cornering is not the issue, I really only need to go about 35mph, and a recumbent delta should handle those corners at that speed. Comfort is a serious issue. Sometimes you want to just hold on and say "Here We Go", sometimes you just want to get home for dinner.

So, the idea with the next one is, how can I get home in 1 hour (33 miles), get a bit of a workout, and spend pennies on gas. Oh, and it should be something that amazes the onlookers.

Back