My next project - Tadpole Trike

I got the dual brake lever yesterday, and onlinemetals.com e-mailed me saying I can expect delivery of the tubing tomorrow.
(Humorous sideline: The tubing was shipped by UPS. Tracking shows it went from Seattle WA, to Portland OR, to Sacrament CA, to somewhere in Kentucky, to Ontario Canada, to Anchorage AK, and is on it's way here. I hope I can put as many miles on it when it's part of my trike.)
I will probably look at it for a while before I cut the frame.

Beast, I think I'll follow your suggestion and use something like suntour shifters. I've probably got some in the parts pile. I better get after those before the pile is too deep in snow. I need to look for a suitable freewheel in there too.

riding a tadpole

holy smokes!i never expected that.i rode in the city,i was really lookin for traffic,even though i thought it was slim,it really wasnt,i can see where it would work well in a not so congested area.very comfy,the steering was good at low speeds but once i got up to 20 miles an hr i felt like i was over steering,i could get alot of torque pushin like that.groovy experience.photos comin soon,camera difficulties.man those tads are low,all i can say is good luck van!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Alaskavan

Wheee!Haaaaw! That was some fun. It corners like a very sensitive sports car. Coming back up the hill was easy (if slow). I have a 34t low gear on the back. Get tired? Put a hand on the brake and rest a bit. You don't have to get off. You've already got the most comfortable seat around.
I stopped at a park to mess with the bike a little.

View attachment 2742
I read this account of your ride up and down the hill and I smiled... this is a great project! I love the "rolling lawn chair" design!

I too am awaiting more in-progress build pics, but, naturally, take your time, sir. Daily doses of pondering are always a key ingredient in a quality product. Hahaha...

Outstanding!

:)~

The wheel that The Wheelmaster built for me should get here this week. When I've got that, I can look at how everything lines up. I need to make sure I bought the tubing in long enough lengths before I cut the frame.

I should get the wheel tomorrow or the day after. According to tracking, it has been held up in Anchorage for a security inspection by the "Government or other Agency". I presume that means Homeland Security. I'm sure glad they are checking my mail. I've been terrified that some terrorist might get hold of the wheel and rig it to explode as I ride down the street. Now I can rest easy.
I am very tempted to enter into a political rant at this point, but I'll let it go.

hahaha

i laughed thanx!i cant wait to see the cutting of that frame,its very exciting.:cool:...........its fun being on the viewing end but alot of thought and effort on your part.:eek::eek:

Heavy Duty Wheel

What you guy's don't know is that I used Alien Back Technology from Roswell for the Design Concept , Lace Pattern, and High tension Trueing on Vans Wheel, It probably raised red flags from the moment it left my shop !:LOL:

:LOL:I just hope they wipe their drool (and their fingerprints) off it before they repackage it.:D

I cant wait to see what you do to it Van,I've got alot of stuff I'm doing to get ready for my ride thats coming up soon,going to long beach frist as a test run next month

How could I forget that up here, one must always figure the weather into any equation. There's nothing flying today, and probably not tomorrow. No Ferry today, either. If (and it's a big if) the wheel flies into Juneau today, it will probably have to wait until they have enough freight to make up a load for the Ferry when it runs. So I'm probably looking at Monday at the earliest. The price I pay for living outside so called civilization.

Back