My old school creation!

Hi, It started out as a Huffy Beach Cruiser that I bought at a Thrift Store for $15 and it kind of got out of control from there. The fuel tanks are old pump style fire extinguishers from the early 1900's and has kersone lanterns from the late 1800's which have been bulbed and wired for light along with sirens from the 50's that run off a 6 volt battery and Power Wheels motors. The sidecar started life at another Thrift Store as a pull behind cart that a small child would ride in behind a parents bike and it went from there. The sidecar frame is wooden covered with canvas and sealed. I don't know why I built it except just to see if I could and with a lot of trial and error I got what you see. My Very First motorcycle show I went to I won "First Place" in the antique class and won "Best Fabrication" of the entire show! I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out, what do you think? Coming soon are pictures of my son's OCC Stingray bike which is where all this really got started. By the way thats him riding in the sidecar in the Avatar while it was in the cardboard mockup stage!
3023_my_bike_5.jpg

3023_my_sidecar4_5.jpg

3023_PDR_0236_5.jpg

3023_wood_frame_5.jpg

3023_PDR_0067_5.jpg

3023_PDR_0068_2.jpg

3023_PDR_0531_6.jpg

3023_PDR_0566_2.jpg

3023_PDR_0556_1.jpg

3023_PDR_0565_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast?

So how fast has it been up to?

Hi,
I really don't know. I don't have a speedometer on my bike but my son's Stingray does and he has told me between 30 and 35 but I'm not sure about that either. Thanks for your interest and its up for "Bike of the Month" I need all I can get!

Lynn

First rate job, I wish I had your skills. I have a 1927 Chevrolet rolling chassis that I have been meaning to build a speedster body on, if I mail it to you will you finish it for me? I have been trying to get something done for about 15 years, Oh well I guess it will get done someday. Good job, and great skills. Have fun, Dave

wow nice. relly good job. I want one. I was thinking on building a sidecar out of a shopping cart with some work to it. =) Nice job. IS there any new work done to it. Keep more photos coming....

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. Yes there is more work; I have aquired a hand operated OOOOOOGA horn that I plan to restore and install on the handle bars and I have gotten my hands on another drum brake that will go on the sidecar wheel. I've been thinking that I will just put the brake lever inside the sidecar and let the passanger (if I have one) help me do the stopping. It seems I don't really need the extra braking power unless I have the extra weight.

Thanks again,
Lynn Hemrick

Lynn - If you go to the bike shop and look for the front brake cable to the 20" trick bikes they use a funny looking affair so that they can spin the front wheel and still have brakes, IE the cable splits. You could modify it to pick up too brakes with one handle, Just an Idea. It might get chancy if you have the rider use a brake. Have fun, Dave
PS: Is that a fabric cover like an old airplane? Love your work.

Yes I agree with trying to use one lever to control both brakes but the sidecar is removable so if I want to ride without it I can and to make it easier to store. I would like to see this brake your talking about because I asked a guy I work with about such an animal because his father used to own a bicycle shop and Matt himself used to be involved with the whole Bmx thing. He said he had never seen anything. Maybe if I could see it for myself I might could come up with a way to disconnect it to remove the car. I will try to go to my local shop and see if I can find one.

Lynn

Back