My old school creation!

Hi, It started out as a Huffy Beach Cruiser that I bought at a Thrift Store for $15 and it kind of got out of control from there. The fuel tanks are old pump style fire extinguishers from the early 1900's and has kersone lanterns from the late 1800's which have been bulbed and wired for light along with sirens from the 50's that run off a 6 volt battery and Power Wheels motors. The sidecar started life at another Thrift Store as a pull behind cart that a small child would ride in behind a parents bike and it went from there. The sidecar frame is wooden covered with canvas and sealed. I don't know why I built it except just to see if I could and with a lot of trial and error I got what you see. My Very First motorcycle show I went to I won "First Place" in the antique class and won "Best Fabrication" of the entire show! I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out, what do you think? Coming soon are pictures of my son's OCC Stingray bike which is where all this really got started. By the way thats him riding in the sidecar in the Avatar while it was in the cardboard mockup stage!
3023_my_bike_5.jpg

3023_my_sidecar4_5.jpg

3023_PDR_0236_5.jpg

3023_wood_frame_5.jpg

3023_PDR_0067_5.jpg

3023_PDR_0068_2.jpg

3023_PDR_0531_6.jpg

3023_PDR_0566_2.jpg

3023_PDR_0556_1.jpg

3023_PDR_0565_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The little details such as the "passenger step" and the antique lights really add to the overall effect. Any plans for another motorcycle show this year? I'd like to see more details.
Tom

Any more shows?

I don't have any plans but I will attend what I can. Between being a firefighter here in Decatur and my daughter playing club or travel Soccer my time is pretty short. I can let you know if it will be somewhere close in the future if you would like. Bamabikeguy (Holly Pond) is trying to organize a rally sometime in the future that would be cool!

Lynn

Oh my gosh!!!!
That is exactly the sort of thing that really winds my springs!
Backyard engineering at it's finest!
Thank you for sharing with us!

I don't have any plans but I will attend what I can. Between being a firefighter here in Decatur and my daughter playing club or travel Soccer my time is pretty short. I can let you know if it will be somewhere close in the future if you would like. Bamabikeguy (Holly Pond) is trying to organize a rally sometime in the future that would be cool!

Lynn

Well, when I see what you guys are doing, I say "scrap Cullman County" lets go race around Bankhead Forest when the leaves change.

Winston County in October sound about right?

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=72165

Last edited:
thats to cool its what i need for my bulldog he hates to be left when i go for a ride:p

Absolutey Insane

Who in thier right mind would make such a cool bike? Looks like its straight from the Munsters TV show! TOTALLY the coolest bike I've ever seen. How does it run with the side car?

sidecar question

Hi, Thanks for your wonderful comments and no I'm not in my write mind! To answer your question the bike rides just fine with the sidecar. Turns are a little different, you expect it to lean to the right when making a right hand turn but its not. I almost turned it over to the left the first time. It seems to make no difference with the weight or load on the engine, the real problem is stopping! I have got another Drum brake hub I plan to install on the side car and put a handle inside so if someone is riding they can help me stop. I'm also going to add some more pictures of some detial on the bike check back in a couple of days and take a look at them. I'm entered in the BOM contest would really like your vote please!

Thanks again
Lynn Hemrick
Decatur, AL

New detail pics

Several of you have asked for more detail pictures here are a few. As on the sidecar the siren is powered by a 6 volt "Power Wheels" motor with pulleys from an old VCR and an O-Ring for a belt. The grip ends are actually an old pair of cuff links installed into the end caps and the picture of the bell probably speaks for itself but St. Florian is the Patron Saint of the Fire Department and are all there for good luck and protection. The other pictures are self explanatory.

Lynn

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 663
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 599
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 576
  • ss4.jpg