My Orange Coast Chopper Build

WOW, i can't wait to see how you get the gears sorted actually.

That's coming up tonight. I've got the front bottom bracket and pedals on last night, so I here's some more photos. Tonight I'll be welding in the rear bottom bracket for the jack shaft. I've decided to steer away from the Sturmey Archer Internal Hub 3 Speed for a de-railer set up. I did alot of searching on the forums and found it has trouble living. What I didn't find out is if the units they used were new or 30 years old. It's not worth the $159.00 to take a chance.

More to come....
'BrettMavriK

Attachments

• IMG00438.jpg
    IMG00438.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG00439.jpg
    IMG00439.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG00441.jpg
    IMG00441.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 505
tank mod

>>Then I am going to convert the stock Jesse James fake tank to hold gas >>with the filler neck and cap from the HT kit.

Just curious what has to be done to the tank and what method you'll use to seal it up. I'm assuming it is not made to hold liquid so you'll have to seal it up some how. Also, what method will you use to attach filler cap?

I'm going to tig weld the holes underside all shut, save one for the tapped tubing from the kit tank at the bottom extra hole. This is for the fuel supply.
Then I'll drill a hole through the frame under the tank so the petcock pops out underneath instead of tank side.
Then I'll cut the filler neck from the kit tank and tig it to the Jesse James tank. I could do a service for people who would want this done. Sure makes for a killer custom tank and a whole lot cheaper than buying a sportster tank, which looks a little big to begin with.

'BrettMavriK

>>Then I am going to convert the stock Jesse James fake tank to hold gas >>with the filler neck and cap from the HT kit.

Just curious what has to be done to the tank and what method you'll use to seal it up. I'm assuming it is not made to hold liquid so you'll have to seal it up some how. Also, what method will you use to attach filler cap?

I've never liked the look of the stock tank on my MB. I really like the old schwinn cruiser horn tanks and have tried to think of a way to create a tank that fit in the frame like the horn tanks do. Of course those tanks aren't tanks at all, just two pieces of formed sheet metal. Do you think it is possible to convert a horn tank to hold fuel?

Here's a link to one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-ORIGINAL-CH...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That might be a little too thin by the looks of it.
Remember, this is holding a flammable liquid waiting to ignite. :eek:

'BrettMavriK

Allrighty,

Got a little further on the bike I so am drooling to drive.
The jack shaft is in...

more to come.

'BrettMavriK

Attachments

• IMG00460.jpg
    IMG00460.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG00463.jpg
    IMG00463.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG00461.jpg
    IMG00461.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 600
I am thinking that shock isn't going to work mounted like that.When you sit on it,it is going to want to pull it apart,not compress.Looks good though!

I am thinking that shock isn't going to work mounted like that.When you sit on it,it is going to want to pull it apart,not compress.Looks good though!

David,
Go back and read this thread from the beginning and you will understand how it works. It actually works excellent.

'BrettMavriK

Brett,
One thing I don't think you considered, but pardon me if you have, since you have suspension, and your suspension pivot is up by the seat, you will require a chain tensioner for you chain. If you are running a chain from the jackshaft back to the rear tire, that distance will change dramatically as your suspension moves. Just trying to help.

I have a similar shock on the bike I am building,but it is an 850lb spring. I don't think I will actually be able to get it to compress. It is more for looks on mine.!

Back