My Phantom Experience.

Cannonball3

Local time
7:08 AM
First I must say how much I appreciate your presence and input on the forum. You are highly knowledgable in two stroke tuning, as well as other things I imagine.
Being an avid fan of the Minarelli hybrid, I have explored the upper limits of the speeds they produce, 50+. Do I ride there, no. At 72 I am not looking for a hospital stay. However I do appreciate the ability to cruise, at a relatively relaxed 40mph when conditions allow. At this point I am 10+ mph below max, in a really sweet spot engine wise. My bike is fairly well equipped with good tires and excellent brakes. Still its a bike. We all take risks riding these things. There are those out there that reach for the 80s. I say more power to them if thats what they want.
Not really defending any type of riding, just saying I appreciate your point. But a burst to the north side of 50 is a rush even at my age!
Beautiful motorcycle by the way, I see the Punisher rides with you!

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
6:08 AM
First I must say how much I appreciate your presence and input on the forum. You are highly knowledgable in two stroke tuning, as well as other things I imagine.
Being an avid fan of the Minarelli hybrid, I have explored the upper limits of the speeds they produce, 50+. Do I ride there, no. At 72 I am not looking for a hospital stay. However I do appreciate the ability to cruise, at a relatively relaxed 40mph when conditions allow. At this point I am 10+ mph below max, in a really sweet spot engine wise. My bike is fairly well equipped with good tires and excellent brakes. Still its a bike. We all take risks riding these things. There are those out there that reach for the 80s. I say more power to them if thats what they want.
Not really defending any type of riding, just saying I appreciate your point. But a burst to the north side of 50 is a rush even at my age!
Beautiful motorcycle by the way, I see the Punisher rides with you!
To start with, thank you for the kind words. I am not attacking any particular style of riding either. People love what they love and who am I to judge others for what they enjoy. Want to go 70mph on a bicycle, go for it. The only thing I would do is try and advise on ways to do it as safely as possible, but at the end of the day, it's their life not mine. Plus, I totally get the fun/thrill of pushing the boundries. I have that genetic disposition too, to some extent at least. Maybe one day I will work on a high speed build just for the fun of it.

I personally just love a powerful and well tuned engine. Especially one setup to suit the type of build/use it might be intended for. I have a passion for trying to optimize something to be as efficient as it can be within a given set of parameters. That extends into my work as well when setting up or repairing the various machines that I work on. It's the little details that make me enjoy what I do.

As for the bike, that is the Punisher lol. It's my unofficial name for it. It's a Honda VFR1200F with an ECU tune and a few other small upgrades and a custom 3 stage House of Kolor paint job on the forward panels. It's a Copper metallic with a bright orange/yellow pearl called Sunset. It changes it's attitude based on the sun and the angle. This picture really shows the paint at it's best.
95490857-10158089763691992-495880521516056576-n.jpg

Cannonball3

Local time
7:08 AM
Wow Impulse, its even more impressive in that view!

Interested in your working with the Phantom, to see how you work it out. Suppose you will be able to smooth the light throttle running, or its it just how its gonna be seeing as its a chainsaw jug?

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
Wow Impulse, its even more impressive in that view!

Interested in your working with the Phantom, to see how you work it out. Suppose you will be able to smooth the light throttle running, or its it just how its gonna be seeing as its a chainsaw jug?
After my last couple of tweaks it's not too bad now. I am still running it a little bit rich, which is likely a part of what is left of it. The rest of it is likely just ignition timing and the nature of the beast. I can part throttle cruise with just the slightest bit of 4 stroking coming and going and it's not that intrusive.

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
Might as well give an update. Closing in in 300 miles, aka end of break in. So far my sprocket adapter has been holding strong. Had to adjust my spoke tensions. Not unusual I know, but I want to keep an eye on things. Eventually I would like to get a set of mags.

Engine hasn't needed any re-tightening of anything for the last couple of tanks. I did add jam nuts to the head studs as well as loctite to try and keep everything in place and so far so good.

Once break in is over my next plan is to upgrade to my VM18 carb and get rid of the bofeng, so updates will arrive for that was well.

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
I'm going to stick with the BoFeng myself on mine, it just runs so sweet even during break-in, so far I couldn't be more pleased.
I have considered just running it for the rest of the year and swapping out for next year. My only issue with the Bofengs is that they have a tendency to start leaking and/or the float needle not sealing eventually. I do like them for their simplicity though.

Chainlube

Local time
4:08 AM
I have considered just running it for the rest of the year and swapping out for next year. My only issue with the Bofengs is that they have a tendency to start leaking and/or the float needle not sealing eventually. I do like them for their simplicity though.
I have two words for that ,"saw carb".