My Phantom Experience.

Can't say enough about no needles or floats and two adjustable jets.
I can. It's a real Mikuni carb, and not a Chinese carb made for $1.50. Needles and floats don't bother me. Once you get a Mikuni dialed in, it's usually relatively hands off unless there are drastic changes in DA, otherwise you just need to avoid ethanol and remember to drain the bowl when storing.

So I may have unintentionally entered phase 2 of my phantom build...

I went ahead and installed my new Mag wheels and slightly bigger tires today and decided since I have to re-do the rear brakes that I may as well also install a new taller stem and set of handlebars. This means that I also have to basically reconfigure the entire bike in terms of cables since I also wanted to install a different pair of shifters AND I also have a 1 gallon fuel tank I have been waiting to install, so I went ahead and pulled pretty much everything off except the motor itself and the cdi.

I also had to remove my exhaust because it once again doesn't fit. I had to heat and tweak it when I first installed it with the original 700c x 40 tires but it turns out these Continental 700c x 42's are a decent amount larger in diameter again than the originals and my tire hits it again. I am nervous to try and bend it again honestly as I think it will either collapse or one of the not so fantastic welds might crack or break. So this leaves me with trying to decide if I want to cut down the stock system to make it fight tighter to the frame and clear the tire OR take it and the real MZ65 you can see above the bike in the picture below and have myself a custom pipe made with a silencer on the end of it. I honestly do really like the stock system for what it is and I am not really chasing power with this engine.

On the plus side the 40 tooth sprocket installed and lined up perfectly. I was using one of the cover mounted spring tensioners but I am going to try an arch style now since I have had a couple of issues with the chain popping off when trying to start it (unless somebody has a solution for me to try). I am also waiting on a new more comfortable seat and a rear brake setup so it probably wont be finished until next weekend. Once I Have everything else sorted I can take it to a friends place and have him help me tig weld up whatever exhaust decision I make.

Nazzty.jpg

The whole shifter and controls situation is proving to also be a little bit of a pain in the butt. I may look into a different type of throttle housing so I can install a separate kill button. The unit provided with the phantom interferes with my trigger shifter on the right side and doesn't allow me to move it into a workable position. Where it is situated now works but it looks goofy and is a bit awkward.

296448059-10159899010826992-2516449748725853104-n.jpg

The whole shifter and controls situation is proving to also be a little bit of a pain in the butt. I may look into a different type of throttle housing so I can install a separate kill button. The unit provided with the phantom interferes with my trigger shifter on the right side and doesn't allow me to move it into a workable position. Where it is situated now works but it looks goofy and is a bit awkward.

296448059-10159899010826992-2516449748725853104-n.jpg
Get a thumb throttle and use the existing kill switch just by itself. The beauty of that is you can shorten the grips to have everything fit on the handle bars. Put the kill down by the stem out of the way.

Get a thumb throttle and use the existing kill switch just by itself. The beauty of that is you can shorten the grips to have everything fit on the handle bars. Put the kill down by the stem out of the way.
I hate thumb throttles as does my thumb. Plus a thumb throttle would also interfere with the trigger shifter which is the whole reason I am looking at other throttles and kill buttons. I do like the idea of putting the button out of the way on the stem or maybe somewhere on the frame.

Wow! I'm new to the forum. Been building bike for about a year now, bought my first a Cranbrook and a Amazon china doll cuz I need a way to get to work and back on a budget and all the ebikes I'm my price range we're crap. So I built the Cranbrook(a disaster) but got bitten by the motorized bug -bad! Since then I've built about 7 bikes and finally have two that I love and use Alot, a 2 stroke "the beast" a yd100 on a cdh 3.4 liter frame and fork, run 94 octane 40:1 premix and she's a good bike aside for a couple issues. My other -"the mick" which is more of my daily driver is a 49cc 4 stroke on a micargi Seattle.
I have posted questions about both.but my reply here(sorry for the length) is to thank you guys for pointing out the reliability issues with the phantom 85 , I keep hearing how great it is and how strong fast and even reliable they are. Hence I've been drooling over one diving my wife nuts talking about it.(well and bikes in general)
So any of you more experienced builders out there , I'd really appreciate it if you checked out my questions and pointed me in the right direction.
Thanks guys

So I have given it some thought and I have decided to modify the stock system for now and save the mz65 for another time or different engine. I need to shorten the exhaust at least an inch, maybe a little more. I want to Tuck it as close to the frame as I can.

If you are curious, this is how bad my fitment is now lol.20220813_200503.jpg

I need to shorten the exhaust at least an inch, maybe a little more.
Either that or remount the motor which is obviously right on top of the forward tube...One of the reasons why I made my own front mount was not just to get a firmer grip and less vibration but also because of exhaust configurations like yours is now.

My front mount sits the motor back further from that front bar.

1.jpg

Either that or remount the motor which is obviously right on top of the forward tube...One of the reasons why I made my own front mount was not just to get a firmer grip and less vibration but also because of exhaust configurations like yours is now.

My front mount sits the motor back further from that front bar.

View attachment 178985
There is no way I can mount this motor to buy the exhaust any room. The only direction I could go would make the problem worse.
Refer to post 122 above for pictoral evidence of this. The Phantom exhaust was designed around the fuel tank cruiser frames so it doesn't jive well with road bike frames with big wheels.

Back