My push trailer build

EsQueue

Local time
6:19 AM
After lots of research and pricing I found that it would be cheaper to buy a drivable device and chop it up to make a push trailer.

Here are some picutures of what I purchased off of ebay for $150. It comes with a real honda 5.5 engine and pretty much everything minus the tuping and hitch. The rear tire is 6 inches wide.

I have already purchased misc. angle irons, plates and everything from a metal shops scrap bin which costed $12.

The trailer actually has a rear band brake that holds darn well. I wonder how I would be able to use it on the bike.

push%20trailer%201.jpg
push%20trailer%202.jpg

push%20trailer%203.jpg
push%20trailer%204.jpg

push%20trailer%205.jpg

Here are some google sketch drawings of what I want it to be

trailer%20drawing%201.jpg

trailer%20drawing%202.jpg

trailer%20hitch%201.jpg

trailer%20hitch%202.jpg

Here is my progress. I started on 7/21/2009

push%20trailer%206.jpg

push%20trailer%207.jpg

Last edited:
Hope the bike your puting it behind has good brakes.
Your macine looks like it will be able to do a right Fast pace.
Hope your running it soon.
Good luck

I was ready to test it out but about 12 people gathered and started to spectate. One even took pictures. I decided to test after it is 100% complete.

Here are some more pictures of the progress for those who care anyway.

Here are some pictures of the nearly completed hitch.

push%20trailer%208.jpg

push%20trailer%209.jpg

Here are some pictures of it 98% complete. Only thing missing is a working throttle cable and a kill switch.

push%20trailer%2010.jpg

push%20trailer%2011.jpg

push%20trailer%2012.jpg

I am impressed. What do you think the top speed will be? Are you going to change the gear ratios at all?

I nearly forgot about this post. I've completed it and redone the hitch as that one has WAY too much play. The thing is fast but the engine has problems :(

Below are attachments of what I had planned as a new hitch that didn't jerk and wobble. There is also a picture of the steering shaft that I purchased to use as a trailer hitch.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• trailer hitch 3.jpg
    trailer hitch 3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 8,471
  • Revised seat post hitch 1.jpg
    Revised seat post hitch 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,592
  • Revised seat post hitch 2.jpg
    Revised seat post hitch 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4,635
Last edited:
The push trailer is nearly complete. Just need a kill switch. I did find a problem with the engine though. It seems that it throws white smoke after a good drive. Engine most likely *(#$ed up.

I'll probably salvage parts from another 5.5 that I have. Funny that out of all the honda clones that I have, only the real one breaks. The odd thing is that after it starts smoking the rpm rises noticably and smells like it is running extremely. If it is a carb problem, I would be happy. The engine did sit for over a year. Oil is good.

Even though it is smoking the bike pulls very hard and I still haven't hit top speed yet and it keeps accelerating.

Here are pictures of the new hitch and the smoke from the exhaust.

Off topic: Forget what anyone says about the Miller Maxstar 150 STL welder. I is great only for thicker metal. They have a hotstart feature that helps from sticking. That feature blows holes right through any metal less than 1/4" thick. Most of my time was spent fighting with the machine and repairing holes using my loaded stinger in one hand another rod in my other hand to patch the holes and grind them smooth.

Any work on thin metal requires a wire feed. With a wirefeed machine, your welds are cleaner and Much MUCH more easy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 4,585
  • IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 4,698
  • IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 4,431
  • IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 4,390
  • IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 4,488
  • IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 4,384
Last edited:
Great job!
Nice sketchup drawings too!
Did you find SU to be useful? I know I did.

I have a couple of those steering shafts lying around at the shop....mercedes driveshafts are nice and skinny too.

Actually more for fun. Someone posted that they used it for something to do with beer on this forum. That is why I started using it.

Very nice trailer! Are you enjoying the ride? I see you have the nice big motor :D

Good work on the welding and the hitch setup!

Crazy Riding,
ZnsaneRyder :giggle:

Very nice trailer! Are you enjoying the ride? I see you have the nice big motor :D

Good work on the welding and the hitch setup!

Crazy Riding,
ZnsaneRyder :giggle:

I'd have to say no. The honda engine was blown so a 6.5 hp clone was added.

The thing is that the 6.5 has so much torque that it cause a little jerking. I think that the trailer's arm is flexing and will have to be redone and replaced with 2" thicker pipe.

The main thing is that the clone engine is so hard to start that it gets dangerous. Holding the throttle while balancing the bike and pullint the started is no easy task.

I don't plan on giving up though. It seems that many clone engines have similar problems needing choke even when warm. First choke the engine, give it 1/2 throttle while pulling the starter once or twice. Flip the choke off, give it 1/2+ throttle and pull the rope. I have 3 things that will be done and I think will make me enjoy this project.

1. I will rejet the idle jet to 0.025 which should be simple enough. People who have done this have reported that the engine starts on 1 pull.

2. I will use thicker pipe to build the arm and reusing the hitch. This should be easy as the thicker pipe will weld better and reduce the flex issue that I am having with the square tubing.

3. Install electric start. This should severly raise the enjoyment, LOL. I have an empty spot on the trailer that can easily be used for a battery.

Last edited:
Back