my redone ratfink bike

well finally got around to this project . it was a motorized ratfink bike but due to vibrations it cracked in half . the top tube broke in to and the cracks at the bottom of the seat post cracked in half so i threw it on the side of the house for about a year . so finally took it to a welder and cut out the top tube and replaced it with chromoly pipe and welded on a motor mount pipe to stop the vibration and welded up the extra cracks and pretty much welded were i thought it might crack in the future. took it apart and sent it to the powdercoater a nice blue and put back in the engine and what a ride it is . so far all stable no cracks and riding sweet! larry ca

Attachments

• Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 673
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 447
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 451
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 598
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 693
  • Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 591
this is what it originally looked like. larry ca

Attachments

• 11_1_RAT-FINK[1].jpg
    11_1_RAT-FINK[1].jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 790
i just measure the top of the chain and the bottom chain ( like say 5 inches) then i go to the bike store and just get a sprocket a bit bigger then the chain measure ment and just stick it in till its good and tight moving it up or back on the chain to were i feel its comfortable and take it for a spin i learned this from reading the forums here on MBC . its called a ghost sprocket. its and alternitive for chain tensions . but ususually i just use axel chain tesioners . larry ca.

Larry: I think you have outdone yourself on this one. I used the ghost ring on my Switchblades to make the chain clear the clutch housing. On the motor drive side I used the tensioner from the kit minus the nylon spool (replaced with a derailer sprocket). If that piece gives any trouble I might use a ghost ring on the motor side as well. Please keep us posted on how those work out for you. With all the sprockets it starts to look like the movement in a mechanical clock. Quite the contraption!! Good job!!

Ghost sprockets? I did a search and nothing but this thread came up. Are you saying those are not attatched? They just sit in the chain? If so I wanna try....

What can go wrong? If the chain is aligned and a branch doesn't mess things up it should be good to go.

Back