My solution to the engine/broken bolt mounting problem

jayjmarlo

Local time
1:59 PM
I am using leather straps and 2 U bolts it's been holding up great, I broke both my front mounting bolts and they were hard grade steal so I gave up on trying to remove them and went with this solution. It's been holding strong for some time now. Just thought I'd share this solution because it seems to be holding up great.

Attachments

• 2013-06-21 12.48.17.jpg
    2013-06-21 12.48.17.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 965
I am using leather straps and 2 U bolts it's been holding up great, I broke both my front mounting bolts and they were hard grade steal so I gave up on trying to remove them and went with this solution. It's been holding strong for some time now. Just thought I'd share this solution because it seems to be holding up great.

Is the front mount just sitting on the frame? If the frame don't flex AT ALL, then this might work for everyone. But I guess even if it did flex it's not gonna flex sideways so it looks like it'll hold it where it needs to be.
My solution to this was to bolt a steel plate to the engine and drill the frame, (yeah, I know, NEVER drill the frame,) BUT, I used a half round of steel pipe on both sides of the hole so the bolt stress would be on the plate's of steel pipe and take the stress off the hole in the frame and give the frame extra support, just in case. The frame never snapped and the guy rode it for almost another year before the engine exploded. Then, for ten bucks I had the holes welded up at a muffler shop, installed his new engine for him and he was good to go again.
Big Red.

Back