My sprocket wont spin. Help a newbie out.

Good job tracking down the gremlins. I've heard of people using the BMX chain with success. I use #41 chain myself- 25% stronger tha 415 assuming the 415 with the kits is manufactured to standard...and the jury's out on that.

Clutch direction

Hey,
So I'm having the same problem I think. I haven't actually tried to spin the wheels/pedals, but my clutch-arm goes from even with the plate (pulling the lever), to cocked OUT ~20 degrees (lever unpulled). It sounds like you're saying that's backwards.. and the lever should go from even to 20 degrees towards the middle of the motor.

How do/would i go about fixing that?

Pulling the lever absolutely refuses to make the clutch-arm go more than even with the plate. I don't really understand the 'action' that this clutch arm does either. It seems like even with the plate corresponds to a flat surface on the inside rubbing against the flat surface of the shaft-thing? But the shaft thing doesn't go anywhere, it's just a dead-end shaft.

Hey there, I hope this helps you out. I'm going to attach a picture to this thread. In this pic you can see my clutch at the top of the picture. This is how the clutch arm should look when the clutch lever is not being squeezed. Is your clutch arm facing the correct direction? You don't have it on backwards do you? You mentioned that you weren't quite sure what the clutch was used for, well when the clutch lever is squeezed it allows the bike to roll / move normally, like it would as a non-motorized bike. When attempting to start the motor on the bike you squeeze the clutch lever, begin riding the bike normally, pick up some speed and then release the clutch lever. This will result in the engine turning over and the bike will start up. I suggest taking the plate cover off the gear box (the thing the clutch arm is attached to) and make sure you have a cylinder shaped metal piece sticking out. This peace is pushed into the motor and is what actually disengages / engages the engine. Put the cover back on and with your thumb push the clutch arm in a few times. I did this for about 5-10 mins and it seemed to loosen some things up. Reattach your clutch cable and see if the clutch works properly. I'm still a complete newbie, but this is the best advice I can give. Take care and I hope it all works out.

Attachments

• May%2010%202008%20-%20VID00047_2.jpg
    May%2010%202008%20-%20VID00047_2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
With my kit it seemed I had a problem with the clutch, but it turned out to be a bad cable. The wire inside the outer jacket was frayed and was very hard to pull. Wallyworld had a set of 5 cables for like $5.00.......

Back