My sprocket wont spin. Help a newbie out.

fiveofakind

Local time
4:35 AM
Hello everyone, I have been reading the posts and cant seem to find an exact answer. I just bought a 70cc 2stroke motor kit from livefastmotors. It has taken me forever to get the bike set up. If anything could have gone wrong in the build up, it did. The biggest problem I am having now is my sprocket associated with the clutch is completely jammed. I have read the post and know they will take a little force to start moving, but I think its a bit more than that. I read that I should take the spark plug out and the side panel off. I did that. I was able to get it to rotate a few times, but once I finished the build, nothing was moving. What should my clutch be doing as I pull its handle? I can tell that the cable is hooked up just fine, but shouldn't it affect the sprocket some how? I am sorry I am so new and these questions may seem like no-brainers to you guys. After 3 days of hard work and racking my own brain, I felt I should probably ask the experts.

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Attachments

• May 10 2008 - VID00047_1.jpg
    May 10 2008 - VID00047_1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 272
  • May 10 2008 - VID00047_2.jpg
    May 10 2008 - VID00047_2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 281
  • May 10 2008 - VID00047_3.jpg
    May 10 2008 - VID00047_3.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 270
  • May 10 2008 - VID00047_4.jpg
    May 10 2008 - VID00047_4.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 249
  • May 10 2008 - VID00047_5.jpg
    May 10 2008 - VID00047_5.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited by a moderator:
I have not yet tried to put any oil/gas mixture into the motor. I thought because the back wheel was more or less locked up that I should wait to have that taken care of before I actually attempt to ride it. As for how much force have I put on the clutch, I completely pull back on it and attempt to move the back wheel, it moves but only 1 or 2 chain links at a time. I am use to working on bikes. I have a fleet of fixed gear conversions and track bikes. I'm a little out of my element. Thanks for your reply. I could shoot a video of my problem and post it on youtube if you guys think that might help.

On my build. A kings motors kit.
My drive sprocket was to poorly made to use. My chain was painted also.
I ground the sides of the drive sprocket until it worked.
I finally got tired of fussing with it and bought a DAX drive sprocket. and Two bmx chains.

The dax drive sprocket needed to be ground on slightly.
the hole was too small (dremel)
The keyway was too small (dremel)
The length of one bmx chain is too small you need two.
No problems since i switched.

To check for a chain jam and to add some pre-start up oil to your engine.
Remove the plug.
Remove the right cover.
Remove the chain. You may have a JAMMED chain. Very hard to remove the chain as you can not spin the engine easily. Work the chain free with a screwdriver.
Dont break your new engine.
Place a small quantity of oil in the sparkpkug hole, about a teaspoon .
Carefully try to spin the engine with the drive sprocket using a wrench .
Does the engine spin?

I would buy a DAX engine next time. I know I will!

OKay.. I got some bandwidth eating stuff going on within my computer right now so I only saw your video in frame spurts. I didn't see you pull in your clutch when you were trying to turn things.
Take the bike off your stand (very nice stand,btw),get on it,pull in your clutch and roll.
Does it roll?
Sorry for sounding Romper Room but to start these bikes you roll off with clutch in and release your clutch while moving.
It's gonna be stiff when it's still new.
Make sure your clutch is adjusted so that you have only a little clutch play (like 1 or 2 millimeters of play) with the lever out so that insures your clutch is all the way depressed when you pull your clutch lever in AS MUCH AS IT WILL GO.
I love that bike color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much. So you're saying the bike is fine? I just need to take it out side, pull the clutch in, attempt to roll it, and it should work? Again, I am so sorry for knowing nothing about these bikes. No one I know has one either, so you guys are all Ive got. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know if it works.

I had the same problem a couple of days ago the previous answer to min has very good photos of how to do the clutch by the way the clutch arm should go towards the engine to disengages the plates.

Also make sure the chain is not too tight this can also cause problem of the back wheel locking up

Back