Sprockets My Staton Freewheel Sprocket Disintegrated!

Is it best to email or call Staton??? I just looked around on their site, and the 24T LEFT thread sprocket isn't there anymore. I have seen it before. All I can find now are 2 16T LEFT freewheels, but one is thicker than the other, so it probably would be best to have the thicker one. I may just go with one of those thick 16T's on my new bike.

5-7HEAVEN,
Is this your freewheel???
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3199

Or do you have the thinner one for 410 chain?
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2356

Is it best to email or call Staton??? I just looked around on their site, and the 24T LEFT thread sprocket isn't there anymore. I have seen it before. All I can find now are 2 16T LEFT freewheels, but one is thicker than the other, so it probably would be best to have the thicker one. I may just go with one of those thick 16T's on my new bike.

5-7HEAVEN,
Is this your freewheel???
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3199

Or do you have the thinner one for 410 chain?
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2356

Best to call, Znsane. I need to call him tomorrow.

I use the thinner freewheel, although on my 20" Dahon I used the thicker freewheel sprocket. Unsure why I switched to thinner sprocket, but gears and chain are more readily available with thinner one. If you experiment with multi-sprockets on the Staton drive box, thinner sprocket is the way to go.

Creating "The Dragon Lady"

One thing leads to another.

It will take a few days to contact Dave Staton and have a new freewheel sprocket flown in.

Soooo, I might as well strip down "The Iron Dragon" to original. Then I'll have a front suspension fork installed. To reinstall the front friction drive assembly onto a suspension fork, I'll need to bolt this on to secure the front support rods:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Rack-Shock-Treatment-Bicycle/dp/B000ACAMHY

Then I'll connect a Staton REAR friction drive with 1.375" roller and 6hp Polini engine onto the FRONT fork.

While "The Iron Dragon" is down for repairs/renovation, "The Dragon Lady" is being created. Today I removed the front friction drive assembly. Since "The Dragon Lady" has a suspension fork, I used the abovementioned rack to help install the front drive assembly. However I installed a pocketbike engine up front and bolted on a Staton rear drive with 1.5" roller and 2.2hp Mits engine.

The pocket bike 49cc engine has reed valves, Rockitt timing key, 14/14 Dellorto replica carb and ADA expansion pipe. With a 1.25" roller, this engine should push the bike to 35 mph at 11,250rpm.

At 35mph, the Mitsubishi engine with 1.5" roller should be turning 8900rpm, which should be close to its rpm limit.

This is my "back up" bike until "The Iron Dragon" flames on again.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeah Znsane, that's probably why I lean towards building twin-engined monsters.

"The Dragon Lady" is completed. Just need to fill both tanks and fire up. The PB engine has never been run so I'm anxious to see how it performs.

I might install a Happy Time reserve tank to feed both engines. Because of the girlie frame the tank sits below the pocket bike engine. I'll neet a petcock to prevent its goped tank from backfilling the reserve tank. I'll also need a siphon priming rubber squeeze bulb to transfer gas to the goped tank.

With the modified pocket bike motor, this monster should be faster than my other twin-engined bike.:devilish:

It's 740am, time to call Staton.

Well I called Dave Staton on Tuesday and the package arrived the next day. The broken sprocket was removed and the new one screwed on in two minutes.

I stripped "The Iron Dragon" of engines and all motorized parts. When my suspension fork arrives, then I'll reinstall everything. The new fork needs front pannier racks to secure the Staton friction drive support rods but it's a piece of cake to install.

In the meantime, the rear engine of "The Dragon Lady" fired up effortlessly, but the pocketbike engine wouldn't start. At the last moment I realized that the rear Mits engine used 50:1 fuel/oil ratio and the pb engine ran 25:1 ratio.

Doh!:giggle:

I squirted extra oil in the pb engine tank. It should've started but it didn't.

Then the plastic pull start pulley jammed under the cover.:confused:

Tomorrow's another day.

:unsure:I'll fit the front side-pull brakes on the coaster brake wheel rim. What I'll do is bolt the brakes with an aluminum crossbar. If all lines up and the brake works, then all's good.

Bike shop owner said the seat stay frame's gusset was too far from the rim to install the center-pull. She was correct UNLESS you fab a bracket closer to the rim(which of course the shop would not/could not do).

You've been hiking into the mountains and smoking that devils weed again haven't you 5-7 :)

Back