My Tadpole Project (update--overdue)

Well I like it Davo
It's looks like it's going to be an interesting build BUT...Come on, tell the truth. You just came back from the beach on that thang from trien to pickup chicks,didn't ya? Must have sore legs from pushin though:cry:...POPS I'll be following your build. Hope I can help.

Its looking good. Is it going to be motor only, no crank?

what size square tubing did you use?

Do you know what motor you are putting into it? Jackshaft?

POPS.... heh, I haven't been to the beach ..haha

Things left to do:
  • tie rod
  • handlebars
  • build a seat
  • pedal cranks & boom
  • route chain- lots of chain
  • brakes
  • Fenders!!
  • paint
I used 1.5" 14 ga. tubing.

I haven't decided on an engine yet. I'm thinking 4-stroke.

I'll know more when I get the pedal side done.

One way of putting a motor on that type of frame:

Jackshaft: 5/8" shaft with keyway, two pillow block bearings, bolt the pillow blocks to the frame so that they do not move. You will have to choose the sprockets that fit your desired reduction.

Since the jackshaft does not move, you will need to move the motor and wheel to adjust the chains.

Wheel: Make a horizontal dropout with the ends shaped to fit this banjo tensioner:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepar...--Banjo-Type,-Chain-Tensioner&category=search

Cut your chain to size, loosen the wheel axle bolts, use the banjo tensioner to snug up the chain, tighten wheel bolts.

Motor: Make a motor plate that holds the motor securely and the plate can slide fore and aft along the frame using slots for bolt holes. Fasten a piece of angle iron on the frame so that you can put bolts through the angle to push the motor plate to get just the right tension in the chain, then tighten the motor plate down to the frame. The angle does not hold a lot of force, it just adjusts the motor plate which is then fastened down. The angle and bolt could prevent the motor plate from moving and causing slack in the chain.

Thats one way to do it. A Lifan motor/transmission combo would be pretty easy and a transmission would be awesome.

this one is 24lbs....but the trike is a tank already!!!

(I'm still looking to buy a 2 stroke for the 'homebent') ;)

On a trike, the engine weight is less relevant than it is on a bike (as long as you're getting some hp for the weight). You're not likely to pick it up and carry it anywhere anyway. (you do need to be able to lift one end to turn it around in tight quarters).

im goona start a tadpole soon . i just moved my shop getting settled in . and pretty bussy with pedal option stuff . but all that will quiet down and i can get back to building hopefully . i always have to think about something for awhile anyway, somehow there has to be a way to get a tadpole to lean into the corners . i gave up on the rear wheel turning thing .

As I've said in other posts, I don't have to slow down when going through a posted 45 mph corner (I have had the trike throw me when making a u-turn at excessive speed). I don't think the benefits of leaning overcome the difficulty of building the thing. However, if you have the urge to do it, power to ya'.

i was thinking a swing on three wheels . any benefits ?, wouldn't fall off during u turn .tires would not actually tip from side to side just the Seat . a swing with rods not chain .

Back