My thoughts on building a gas tank

If my calculations are correct, it will be about 1.5 gallons... but remember, this is the LEFT tank... the RIGHT one hasn't even been started...

If my calculations are correct, it will be about 1.5 gallons... but remember, this is the LEFT tank... the RIGHT one hasn't even been started...
Nice, I've been thinking about using 2 or 3 oxygen, Mapp, or propane tanks as a gas tank, I figure I could braze some small steel tube to the sides and connect them with some sort of tube to act as connections. Paint may even be done over though I think I could dig the industrious look of the original tanks, hard to decide...

I've tried the brazing thing it's a unique pain, I've actually seen better success in simply soldering steel pieces together, my metal ammo box I used as a battery and electronics case has an out channel on the side that's just a copper pipe soldered to the steel with silver bearing pipe solder..

I seem to burn holes with brazing on even the simplest things, though maybe it's because I'm always trying on thin metal crap...

Nice, I've been thinking about using 2 or 3 oxygen, Mapp, or propane tanks as a gas tank, I figure I could braze some small steel tube to the sides and connect them with some sort of tube to act as connections. Paint may even be done over though I think I could dig the industrious look of the original tanks, hard to decide...

I've tried the brazing thing it's a unique pain, I've actually seen better success in simply soldering steel pieces together, my metal ammo box I used as a battery and electronics case has an out channel on the side that's just a copper pipe soldered to the steel with silver bearing pipe solder..

I seem to burn holes with brazing on even the simplest things, though maybe it's because I'm always trying on thin metal crap...
the trick to brazing is not having an oxidizing flame. it's something that comes with experience and no amount of reading the instruction pamphlet will get you there.

Back