My Whizzer Turns Heads!

Hal the Elder

Local time
4:53 PM
I had Oscar out for a lengthy neighborhood cruise today, putting on 13 miles...my longest outing yet!

Many times I would pass small groups of adults or kids visiting in their front yards, and they would all look in surprise at Blue Oscar putting by at a leisurely 20mph. They would have looks of surprise, uncertainty, and admiration, and most of them smiled and waved!

When I saw a group who looked interested, I would go around the block and come back to stop and talk to them. They were all extremely interested in the Whizzer, most of them never having seen one.

I proudly related the history of the Whizzer and gave technical explanations of the machine.

Whizzing is fun!

HAL

Last edited:
Ah, you have now experienced the mystique of the Whizzer. Many times I've taken mine to the store only to come out and find people gathered around, admiring it. Many have never seen one, or haven't seen one since their youth. Most are surprised to find out that the bike is modern (mine is a 2005). Most recently, I had a fellow offer to trade his pickup truck for my Whizzer once he found out how many miles per gallon it gets!
On the occasions I've taken mine to work, I usually park it out front (where I can keep an eye on it). Sometimes, by the number of people to go out of their way to look at it you'd think I parked an exotic sportscar there.
Enjoy the mystique of the Whizzer. It's fun to spread the word about these grin generators.

Get the Hi-Flow muffler insert if you want to turn more heads! Quenton should have those available if you need one. Motorbike Mike may also have them. Not only does it sound a lot better, it lets you extract a little more performance from the engine.

Those of us on happy time set-ups are sometimes asked, "Is that a Whizzer?"

My answer is, "No, but it's a copy." (not quite true, but close enough)

Then we usually spend a few minutes looking over the bike.

So we HT people are "Whizzer mystique interlopers" :)

We're sorry (a little bit), but we enjoy it (quite a bit).

Those of us on happy time set-ups are sometimes asked, "Is that a Whizzer?"

My answer is, "No, but it's a copy." (not quite true, but close enough)

Then we usually spend a few minutes looking over the bike.

So we HT people are "Whizzer mystique interlopers" :)

We're sorry (a little bit), but we enjoy it (quite a bit).

Same thing happens when I'm on either of my HT bikes as well, especially my Western Flyer.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z21/KilroyCD/My Bikes/100_1594.jpg
I tell people that it's not a Whizzer, but it's the same concept.

Well, It Could Be Worse...

Instead of enjoying the admiration of neighbors as Oscar and I glide down their streets, I could be faced with angry mobs who run into the street, shaking their fists, and shouting:

"Stay off our streets with that thing...the clutch slips too much!"

HAL

Last edited:
Hey Kilroy:

About that "Hi-Flow" Muffler Insert:

Isn't the stock exhaust insert already optimized for the NE engine with the intake restrictor opened to 19mm?

If the Hi-Flow insert produces a more mellow sound, I would be interested. What's the price?

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
Whizzers

Hal I bought mine at the Harpers Ferry National Park at the general store. close to that is a resterant an outside tavern where quite a few Harley guys hang out with there 20k super fancy bikes maybe more I mean fancy. When I bought mine and waited on my daughter in law to come with the truck to take me home. I took a few rides and guess who was all around me asking all kinds of questions. Those harleys guys came out of the wood work like roaches. To be honest I think the guy at the general store was ready to hire me as an employee, because I had all the right answers because I had been reading up on all the information on the Whizzer.
Enjoy the bike everyone is interested in the antique look of the bike, and I enjoy talking about them. Check out my picture in the photo section I am an avid photographer and can do anything with a picture and used a little bit of my WVa humor again. Dane

About that "Hi-Flow" Muffler Insert:

Isn't the stock exhaust insert already optimized for the NE engine with the intake restrictor opened to 19mm?

If the Hi-Flow insert produces a more mellow sound, I would be interested. What's the price?

Thanks...
HAL

Hal, if I'm not mistaken the stock insert is, along with the restrictor, designed to help keep the hp rating at 1.95 as well as helping to keep the decibel level a bit lower. The hi-flow gives it a throatier (not more mellow - I call it the "quarter Harley") sound, and I noticed that it offered a little better performance as well. I chalk that up to decreased back pressure.
I can't remember the price of the hi-flow, but I'm sure Quenton can tell you. He had them available at our East Coast Rally last month.

Back