My woodruff key fell out???

I'm shopping for a new crankshaft. Is there an upgraded version I should use over a replacement of the same stock part? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Wait wait wait.. You're shopping for a crankshaft? You understand that means you'll be splitting a crank case right? Shop for new case gaskets, crank seals, cylinder gaskets, and probably new main bearings while you're at it. Also get ready to have problems getting parts apart and together. Make sure you brush up on your knowledge of engine geometries, your piston will match about half the crankshafts available, the other half will not.

I should also say that 95% of the "performance" parts are not anywhere close to performance parts. It all falls down to specifically tuning the motor for the power you want or need. On the carburetor side you are limited to the amount of fuel and air that can physically be sucked in by the size of the intake manifold. You are also limited by the amount of burnt gas and air you can get out at a given speed. You can push too much out, or too little, both hurt power when not tuned. The best Mikuni carburetor available money can buy will be a few hundred times worse than a stock carb if you tune it wrong. Think size 120 jet when size 85 is already too much. Size 55 will probably set the engine on fire but it will run fast, so fast you can take the spark plug wire off and it will keep running (yes, I've had this happen and it's a bit scary I'll admit)

Also I have not heard of a performance crankshaft but if it's on ebay it's probably the largest load of horse s**t to hit the Internet yet. Crankshafts to be technically tuned, must be balanced with your piston and rod and such, refer to jaguar on this.

I guess the point is invest in tools and time, not toys and shiny things. In all honesty if you can get about 100 dollars of simple tools you will be able to bring just about any motor into its fullest life and strength. You just need to spend time measuring twice, cutting once, and actually feeling the results and not the charm of money or even worse, buyers remorse. Take roach for example, his performance cdi actually made his bike run worse. Why? Well maybe because it's not really performance as much as it was labeled performance. It performed worse than stock because it was designed to look better than stock rather than being designed to perform better. It was also an imitation of a better product that actually does improve performance, but for half the price of the real deal why not take a $35 risk. Right?

Sorry I get worked up when somebody puts a shiny sticker on something and claims it's better. It's like a Styrofoam cooler. Put an NFL team on the side and stick a shiny sticker on it and all a sudden it goes from being a 2 dollar cooler to a 14 dollar cooler. I don't know how but if it really cost them 12 dollars for a quarter sized sticker and a picture of an eagle printed on the side then I suggest they ask me to make them for only 10 dollars a piece. I can print a full color image for about 3 cents, and I can get a sparkly sticker for about half a cent, and I can charge them a whopping 10 dollars for it even though it doesn't make the caller keep anything cooler than the other cooler! I know! Let's stick a sticker that says performance cooler on the side of the cooler, and charge an extra5 dollars, just tell everyone it keeps then cooler longer because it's a performance cooler! aaahahahahahahahahaha! I'm going to be rich!

I'm not aware of any place to get a "performance" crank, especially not for your 48cc. cr machine has built 66cc bottom ends with some pretty nicely balanced balanced cranks that offer more primary compression if that's your jam

I wasn't looking for "performance" rather longevity. From the get go I've read that some parts on these cheap little engines are better upgraded. I was inquiring for info on if there was a better after market part.

Like I said in my other comment keeping it running is the main goal, more consistently of possible. I'm looking at this as a winter project and though I have a multitude of tools I'm in agreement that it's likely there will be something I need for this project.

I'm also in agreement that shiny doesn't mean better. I'm a very practical gal.

Where ever it came from lol. Could be under the magnet, under the small gear on the other side, under the clutch, under the chain sprocket.

Back