My Wyman obsession

A

antique-rider

Well not only is Rif obsessed with George Wymans story, I am too. I knew I'd never (well...probably never) ride from coast to coast to replicate his adventure, so instead I built a replica of his California Motorbicycle as it looked in May 1903. I really went over board with this project, the only way I'd be happy with it was to look very authentic. So I built a replica engine. I haven't run it yet, but I still take to shows to spread the Wyman story. In fact a lot of the parts on this bike are turn of the century, the frame, seat, handlebars, goose neck, cork grips, etc. This is it at a local vintage motorcycle show.

Attachments

• wyman bike2.jpg
    wyman bike2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 603

Tom Bartlett

antique-rider;
Stunning creation... Care to share more details on how you created the replica engine?
Tom

drimpact

You have my attention also ...

It still ammazes me how much our bikes are so similar to the first motorcycles

U

uncle_punk13

I hope I'm not steppin' on your toes 'rider, but here's a teaser...

Attachments

• engine4S.jpg
    engine4S.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 368
U

uncle_punk13

You have my attention also ...

It still ammazes me how much our bikes are so similar to the first motorcycles
That is exactly why I like 'em! I know I'll never have the *spare* 50-100 thousand dollars to spend finding, buying, and restoring an original; so I build these up and it's as close as I can get, it's affordable, and it's as much fun (to me anyway) as anything! I'm good with that...
:rolleyes:

A

antique-rider

Like I said, I really went overboard with this one.... First I had to design the engine only going on photos and general dimentions I scaled from those photos. I started with the crankcase and built a wood pattern to make an aluminum casting from. I had made a number of castings for other projects, so I was no stranger to pattern making and machining. I planned it around a 6hp rototiller crankshaft (highly modified) I had. then I came up with a 1920's Briggs engine, the cylinder was almost exactly the right size and fin count. I cut it off of the case and welded a flange to the bottom, also used the piston and rod from that engine. The head was another casting to match the cylinder. anyway..... more to come if you want.

Attachments

• done.JPG
    done.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 398
  • Furnace.jpg
    Furnace.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 353
  • machining1.JPG
    machining1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 335
  • headpattern.JPG
    headpattern.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Cal1.JPG
    Cal1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 369
O

OldPete

Awww...casting sprues.

That is like looking at a new-born part. Sweet!
Yes, more please.

As childern my brother and I built a Bessemer furnace out of fire brick, used the vacuum w/the hose reversed for air, burned all dad's charcoal, melted about 2# of aluminum and cast nothing. :D