My Wyman obsession

A

antique-rider

Well not only is Rif obsessed with George Wymans story, I am too. I knew I'd never (well...probably never) ride from coast to coast to replicate his adventure, so instead I built a replica of his California Motorbicycle as it looked in May 1903. I really went over board with this project, the only way I'd be happy with it was to look very authentic. So I built a replica engine. I haven't run it yet, but I still take to shows to spread the Wyman story. In fact a lot of the parts on this bike are turn of the century, the frame, seat, handlebars, goose neck, cork grips, etc. This is it at a local vintage motorcycle show.

Attachments

• wyman bike2.jpg
    wyman bike2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 673
You have my attention also ...

It still ammazes me how much our bikes are so similar to the first motorcycles

I hope I'm not steppin' on your toes 'rider, but here's a teaser...

Attachments

• engine4S.jpg
    engine4S.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 436
You have my attention also ...

It still ammazes me how much our bikes are so similar to the first motorcycles
That is exactly why I like 'em! I know I'll never have the *spare* 50-100 thousand dollars to spend finding, buying, and restoring an original; so I build these up and it's as close as I can get, it's affordable, and it's as much fun (to me anyway) as anything! I'm good with that...
:rolleyes:

Like I said, I really went overboard with this one.... First I had to design the engine only going on photos and general dimentions I scaled from those photos. I started with the crankcase and built a wood pattern to make an aluminum casting from. I had made a number of castings for other projects, so I was no stranger to pattern making and machining. I planned it around a 6hp rototiller crankshaft (highly modified) I had. then I came up with a 1920's Briggs engine, the cylinder was almost exactly the right size and fin count. I cut it off of the case and welded a flange to the bottom, also used the piston and rod from that engine. The head was another casting to match the cylinder. anyway..... more to come if you want.

Attachments

• done.JPG
    done.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Furnace.jpg
    Furnace.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 411
  • machining1.JPG
    machining1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 401
  • headpattern.JPG
    headpattern.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 398
  • Cal1.JPG
    Cal1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 434
Awww...casting sprues.

That is like looking at a new-born part. Sweet!
Yes, more please.

As childern my brother and I built a Bessemer furnace out of fire brick, used the vacuum w/the hose reversed for air, burned all dad's charcoal, melted about 2# of aluminum and cast nothing. :D

Back