My Zbox 48cc HT Build!

kjparker

Local time
3:06 AM
Howdy,

Here goes the story of my Zbox 48cc HT Build! I was spurred into action by seeing Impressions build, and finding out that the prices had dropped considerably since I last looked!

I ordered my kit from Zbox at 6:15 am, and got the email from Warren at 6:30am with the con note number and despatch information. Cant beat that service! Irrespective of the product, thats customer service if I ever saw it!

Kit arrived today, and it's as expected, all appears to be in order.

I'm not in a super rush to get this together, I'm going to take my time putting it together, doing it right the first time!

The bike that it's going to go into is a Giant Upland SE mtb, was a great bike to ride, very comfortable. I dont have it with me at the moment, it's at the bike shop being serviced, and having the bottom bracket and headset serviced as well, so that I know I have a solid starting point!

I started by puling the engine out, and removing the cover for the sprocket, and the magneto to check for irregularities, all appears to be fine! I didnt have any trouble at all removing the screws that held it, Impressions motor must have been the exception, rather than the rule! I also wrapped the chain around the sprocket, and whilst it seemed to fit ok, I might take the dremel to it a little, and round off the sharp edges a little, but I reckon I could get away with it as is. I will post some pics of it and get other peoples opinions before I attack it!.

I have also read that it's a good idea to put an o-ring in the carby where it fits to the intake, is this something I should be worrying about?

My intention so far is as follows:
  • Replace all studs with high tensile hex bolts
  • replace all external screws with hex bolts
  • Permatex the magneto housing gasket, and seal the hole where the wiring exits the casing to stop water ingress
  • Loctite all bolts (what colour loctite should I use, I have read of different people using different colours!)

I'll add to this list as things occur to me.

Now the pics thus far! I'd be interested in peoples opinions and suggestions on the build!

happytime001.jpg

happytime002.jpg

happytime003.jpg

happytime007.jpg

happytime005.jpg

Sounds like your know what your doing! I would definetely reccomend those upgrades you have spoke about, prevention is always better than cure! I'm using red loctite, only because thats all I've got, and it seems to be doing the trick fine. I like the big Z on the clutch cover! Also I would highly recommend replacing the exhaust nuts with nylon thread locking ones, I've put two on (the size is M6 or 6mm). And putting a split washer on it too. The exhaust will just rattle off otherwise. Also try and get hold of some strong rubber that can be used in between the mounts and the frame, this will make it a smoother ride and will be easier on your frame.
Good luck with the build! Looking forward to seeing the result!
Fastboy

hey glad to see you got it :D

hurry up and get it ready for the Sydney meet :D

Will_Start was a tremendous help with my build and he's not too far from you ;)

Thanks for the responses guys:

Fastboy9: Thanks for that, It's my first build, however I have done a lot of reading!

Impression: I'm working on it, but I'm not going to rush it, however having said that, for the meet, the bike should be fine!

Ok, now, some more plans!

• Re-inforce the seat tube by pushing an additional seat pole down there for where the engine mount goes
  • investigate having the engine mount studs drilled and tapped to 8mm (maybe)

I really should stop reading the forums, I keep finding more work to do! :)

yeah great idea about the 8mm studs, they definetely have to be replaced! I just spent about 7 hours drilling out and tapping a sheared rear mount, the stud sheared flush to the engine block!!

Well, I just got off the phone to my local machine shop. It's going to cost me $30 AUD to have the mounting studs re-drilled and tapped to an 8mm thread. I have always thought prevention is better than cure, so I'll be getting it done now before I have any stud breakage!

Good pics KJP,
see you at lunch.

I want to know if the petrol cap of Impression or kjparker leak.
we were told by Warren the new Zbox caps should not leak.

check this link.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8960

Impression you have a new Zbox, does it leak ?

When I say leak, you get petrol spilling around the cap,
enough to soak up a whole tissue.

The motor has no grommet at the eletrical area,
you should see if a hardware/auto store has one the right size,
that killed my first magneto when I did an engine degrease.

also don't use the kill switch, buy a toggle switch,
I got a water-proof one from JCar.
this link holds info on doing it.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8579

Just in case you were running out of things to do.

Last edited:
Back