Narrowest Four Stroke Setup

roughrider

Local time
7:52 AM
Hi All,

Definitely a new guy here. Got a question. I'be been trying to discern which four stroke engine/transmission combo is the narrowest, and the data is confusing. The widths I see on websites do not necessarily include the drive systems; more, the transmission/gearboxes etc. do not generally even state their width. This is an important issue for me as I come from a bicyclist's background, and I just hate the idea of a motored bike that I can't easily pedal, engine or not.

If I have have read my data correctly, it looks like it is possible to get a slightly narrower build with a Honda than an HS 142. Is that right? Any advice is welcomed.

Cheers,
Rick

Well, I think I answered my own question. The EZM is 1 3/4" wide, and the Grubee is 1 5/8". The rest is arithmetic, for I can find the engine width data.

Hey Samdallas, thanks for that. As a total newb, I am working SO blind! I have gathered that the 2-strokes are narrower (and lighter), and this is a great selling point. At this point, I've decided I want to build at least two bikes. The "China girls" as you guys say, have got me intrigued. I'm figuring on popping one of them into an aluminum framed hybrid bike as my "urban assault vehicle" going for the best power to weight ratio I can muster. See, I've gotten the bug so bad I know I'll never be happy until I've played with both 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

Though, for my first build, I want a long distance touring bike—one I can trust in the middle of the Mohave desert, so I'm going with a 4 stroke. I've exploded too many 2 stroke motorcycles by hard riding to really trust them under long term stress conditions. This concern about width is because I just want to make SURE I can pedal. Like, there's these chain driven trannys used by Dax and venicemotorbikes that just look CRAZY wide. That's a deal breaker for me. So I've pretty much settled on a 4 stroke with an EZM tranny. The engine braking alone is a closer, and if "the pitch" matches facts, they have pretty efficient power transfers to the chain.

BTW, any EZM dealers reading this? Feel free to PM me. I'm just about ready to buy, and I welcome good, honest dealers who can offer decent shipping rates to California.

Best,
Rick

Back