Navy Davey present and accounted for Sir!

Navy Davey

Local time
7:13 AM
New to the site and am happy to have found this forum.
I was born and raised in Boston MA.
I have also lived in Coronado CA and Little Creek VA during my time in the US Navy.
In addition I have been to 27 countries around the world during that time.
I spent a great deal of time working as a chef and have owned my own restaurant in Revere MA.
Went to school at the CIA( Culinary Institute of America) in Central Hudson Valley NY…shh😜
I even held Executive Chef positions at ML Baseball stadiums in Boston and Pittsburgh PA.
Currently I am retired from the food industry and work in manufacturing for an international corporation. You may have heard of some of our brands like Loctite…ahem… sorry no hook ups… lol
Anyhoo I have been a passionate bike builder since I was a wee tyke.
My second job alongside my paper route was at City Cycles in Stoneham MA.
I was so stoked about bikes that I walked in the shop and offered my work to them for whatever they would pay me. I was lucky and they hired me as their gopher… lol
For about a month I get them coffee and stamps from the post office.
They then took me under their wing and took me to the back to work with the mechanics and engineer.
This left a lasting impression on me obviously because here I am today living in a condo with a basement full of bikes… lmao
I was very happy to have found this forum.
Reddit is always a shizz show…lol
Plus this is the same platform as the site that I used to be a Moderator on which is super easy to navigate!
To ramble on further…lol
Cheers to all… happy to be a member, learn and share!
IMG_1167.jpeg

So who are you going to become here? Gas, electric, hybrid, 2,4, single ratio, multiple ratio, new, old? Lol Before investing time/money be sure to look up your local legal statutes on motorized bicycles/mopeds. If you don't know your statute numbers then you don't know the law. My state Tennessee statute is 55-8-101(35). It's heart breaking to do a build just to find out you live somewhere the guidelines are strictly enforced and you didn't build within them.

So who are you going to become here? Gas, electric, hybrid, 2,4, single ratio, multiple ratio, new, old? Lol Before investing time/money be sure to look up your local legal statutes on motorized bicycles/mopeds. If you don't know your statute numbers then you don't know the law. My state Tennessee statute is 55-8-101(35). It's heart breaking to do a build just to find out you live somewhere the guidelines are strictly enforced and you didn't build within them.
Right now I’m a gas guy. I don’t plan on doing too much riding on the roadway or around too many pedestrians.
I live in Massachusetts and I know my bike is considered a moped by law.
I also am not planning on going fast or driving irresponsibly.
Two reasons:
  1. 27 years ago or so I was clocked going 135 on the Taconic Parkway in upstate NY. I was riding a GSXR 1100 and I was a completely dipstick. I paid dearly for that ride and am lucky I didn’t die.
  2. I am now over 50 and had my share of bumps so anything I can do to ensure my safety riding I will do. No more broken bones or tendons for this guy.
I appreciate your support!
Really what I am doing on future projects is fabrication.
Drivetrain is up in the air.
I have experience welding and my own equipment.
I currently live in a condominium type house where four houses are attached together.
My neighbors always give me the hairy eyeball whatever my project is in the backyard. That may be carpentry, mechanics or burning their kids retinas when I strike an arc… lol
That being said I just bought a Phatmoto.
I wanted to use some of their engineering and design in my next fab project and have a quick spin out of the box while I’m at it.
Its nice to have met you!

Did you acquire your welding skills whilst still serving in the Navy???...If so, I know for a fact that some of the best welders I have ever seen were U.S. Navy trained welders.

The Brown Water Navy, Knee Deeps, (U.S. Coast Guard), come in at second best,...lol...lol...Sorry @Wrench, it is what it is, but I still like you "Coasties"...lol.

Yes I learned to weld in the Navy working in the HT shop (Hull technician).
Navy welders are great because we don’t have to worry about getting fired after destroying tons of stock… lol
The American taxpayers have no idea what the term float test means.
That’s where the scrap goes when out at sea. Lmao

Welcome to the forum. We use and pronounce our R's here, english only site. What a resume you have. Love to see pics of your bike/'s.

Welcome to the forum. We use and pronounce our R's here, english only site. What a resume you have. Love to see pics of your bike/'s.
He can probably help me in my mission to teach all of you heathens how to speak proper Bostonian English therefore helping all of you in becoming more civilised...lol...lol.

Back