CVT NE-R ,CVT belt size ?

RUSSELL45

Local time
9:50 AM
I have been looking here for a post concerning belt replacement for 2008 NE-R CVT belt. I thought the GURU of the outer banks had talked about this, but can not find that post. Quenton said he used Gates belts from Car Quest but they are having trouble crossing the metric number. I'm kinda hoping someone has found a belt that is close enough to adjust in. The main problem seems to be the belt pitch. Any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciatedddd! Thanks, Russell :whistle:

I have found a belt @ Napa that looks like it will work. It's a Gates powerlink, PL20508. The dimensions seem to be the same. Also, the NGK IRIDIUM plug with 1/2" threads is NGK CR7HIX, opposed to the CR7EIX with longer threads. Both plugs have 10mm threads. Hopefully this will help someone else from spending a ton of time doing research. First question:what type of vehicle? Second question: What to heck is a Whizzer? Third question: Have you tried China yet? Don't ya just luv-it? Ha!

Thanks for the info RUSSELL45. did your primer belt go bad? and are you still using the carb that came with your NE-R. i've gone from the 16mm, 18+mm from the wc-1, 20mm and now the 22mm carb.

Thanks,
Ray

Good morning Ray. A few answers to your questions, first, my front belt wore enough to cause it to slip when trying to start a cold engine. I moved the engine forward to tighten belt but with it this tight, it does not utilize all of the pullies surface at higher rpm, so I lose on top end. If that makes any sense to ya. The belt # I gave you was a NAPA belt,but same # as Gates. I'm still running the OEM 16mm carb. Here in Ft.collins, Co, I'm about 5400+ft. of altitude. I'm presently running a #80 stock jet, with needle clip in second notch from top. Got a brownish grey plug and engine purrs with these settings. I have adjusted valves, replaces compression release with 10mm bolt per Quentions instructions. Just been enjoying the ride here lately. In the very near future, plan to put engine on the bench. Plans include, cylinder porting and decking, cureing. Shaveing head. Haven't decided on how much so far. Mostly depends on type of head gasket I use. Hopefully will be able to cut one from copper sheet that will fit the compression chamber closely. Would like to find a 22mm carb also, but this 16mm carb is really a sweet unit. A ne5 head would be a nice find too. I'm not looking for a hotrod, just a nice dependable ride my grand children will get a chance to ride someday. The whizzer experiance should always be shared and enjoyed. After the tear-down, I'll give Quenton a buzz and make a game plan from there. I still need a tach also if you come across one.
Also, a quick note on jetting. I build quite a few bikes, quadricycles and even a small jeep with bike parts, for my granddaughter. I use the GT50 pocket rocket engine such as the one Duane sells @ THATSDAX, and they are picky about jetting. Rather than trying to find jets, I solder up jet opening and drill new jet hole. I enlarge hole until happy with the way they run and spark plug has the color I'm looking for. Skill level is moderate if confidence level is above average. Good luck, have questions, let me know. Later gator_____ Russell

Last edited:
Hi Russell, if you like you can give whizzerusa a call 1- 877-944-9937, they will have your tach and other ne-r parts. they also have some really good prices too.
Maybe you call keep us posted about your belt adjustment too.
I let the primary belt stick out 1/16"- 1/8" out of the secondary clutch.
I think the trick is not to get the belt to tight or it will burn on the clutch hub.
Using the 22mm carb will give you more power for sure. i'll keep a look out for one.

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

• DSCN2990.jpg
    DSCN2990.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 341
Ray, I have tried to answer you questions but when I try to post, every thing goes blank. I'm still trying. I'm better with engines than computers. THANKS again, Russell

Here goes again Ray, yes I have changed and adjusted belt. I hear so much negative input on the CVT, when this thing is adjusted right, I like it. I have installed iridium plug rechecked valve lash and performed spring clean-up on my 16mm carb. Cyl. and head work planned for near future. After this I will look for at least a 22mm carb. It's hard to tear one down in the summer when they crank on second try and purr so smoothly. Too much fun to ride !! Another quick question, how do you become a member on this forum? Is there a waiting period for newbies? Once again, THANKS for all your help, It's truly appreciated. Russell in Colorado---

Here goes again Ray, yes I have changed and adjusted belt. I hear so much negative input on the CVT, when this thing is adjusted right, I like it. I have installed iridium plug rechecked valve lash and performed spring clean-up on my 16mm carb. Cyl. and head work planned for near future. After this I will look for at least a 22mm carb. It's hard to tear one down in the summer when they crank on second try and purr so smoothly. Too much fun to ride !! Another quick question, how do you become a member on this forum? Is there a waiting period for newbies? Once again, THANKS for all your help, It's truly appreciated. Russell in Colorado---
Hi RUSSELL, I'm pretty sure that you are a member, or you wouldn't be able to post.
when you sign on put a check mark in the box where is says remember me? under your sign in name, that way you can take your time when you are posting.
I also like the CVT. here's a link to that 22mm
carb,www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/products_id/518/cpath/280_13
I've change my compression release mount that goes to the exhaust elbow for the vintage one because it mounts to the head bolt, which lines up with the compression release perfect. Quenton had done this to Terry's Toy and made a hole lot of sense. Thanks for the post and all your help as well. not a lot of info for the NE-R.
some pics too.

Ray

Attachments

• DSCN3171.jpg
    DSCN3171.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN3172.jpg
    DSCN3172.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN3176.jpg
    DSCN3176.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 302