NE5 valve cover leak @ cable mount

I live in a small fishing village on the east coast of NC, and usually can't find most things, but oil isn't one of the items. I have purchased 40 Wt oil at Advance auto parts, Napa auto parts, K-mart, grocery stores, Ace hardware, etc. Another place to look is a motor cycle shop. Maybe they shipped all the 40 Wt oil here, who knows. I would check with the local parts store and see if they can order it for you. RDKryton is correct, the 40 Wt will stay in the motor longer than 30 Wt or multi-grade [worst]. As the cylinder adapts to the rings [break-in] the crankcase pressure will drop some [can take as long as 500 miles]. Some motors break-in faster than others because of the clearance of the cylinder to piston ratio. I have never had 2 motors break-in the same, and each must be treated as different. I have invented several ways to stop the flow of oil through the vent at high RPMs [over 8800 RPMs] and still allow the crankcase to vent correctly.
Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
Another thing to look for.

Hi again Dan
You should make sure the bolts and nuts that hold the cylinder to the crankcase are tight. I just saw a little oil on mine in the same area you have your leak and found that the bolts and nuts needed to be snugged back up. After that the next ride was dry. No oil leak. Just something else to check and good luck on the 40wt oil search. Don't give up on that. These engines were designed for 40wt and with the hot weather on the horizon it will be more important that you get the heavier oil in there.
Take care

Jim

Hi Dan,

In an earlier post of mine I echoed the same problem I had finding 40wt oil. I live in the largest city in Kansas (500,000) and there are literally auto parts stores every half a mile or so - not one of them (Advance, AutoZone, O'Reillys, Pep Boys...etc.) had 40wt oil. I wound up finding mine at the local hardware store.

Good luck with your oil and getting your leak resolved.

Regards,

Matthew

Quenton wrote:

"I live in a small fishing village on the east coast of NC"

Sure Quenton...rub it in why don't ya!!! :D

Matthew in Kansas....

Thanks for all the input. As soon as I can change the oil out with 40wt I will. I sure hope this takes care of it! I'll let you all know. Thanks again, Dan

Back