Need a chain tensioner? Read this.

Wevil Knievel

Local time
4:54 AM
I came across a makeshift chain tensioner that works great.

I was tearing apart an old clothes dryer and noticed that the belt tensioner that turns the drum is perfect for the job.

I myself have zero chain issues but Ive got an anti bucking shim in the front drive sprocket housing to stop chain jam, a case mounted spring tensioner with the stock tensioner as just a lower guide and the swing arm dryer arm as my upper chain guide to stop the chain from whipping up and back lashing into the sprocket/ clutch housing.

The chain only rides on the stock tensioner and only touches the upper guide when it back lashes.

Over kill? Maybe. But I never ever have chain issues.

And thats priceless!

IMG_20210612_073427068.jpg

I came across a makeshift chain tensioner that works great.

I was tearing apart an old clothes dryer and noticed that the belt tensioner that turns the drum is perfect for the job.

I myself have zero chain issues but Ive got an anti bucking shim in the front drive sprocket housing to stop chain jam, a case mounted spring tensioner with the stock tensioner as just a lower guide and the swing arm dryer arm as my upper chain guide to stop the chain from whipping up and back lashing into the sprocket/ clutch housing.

The chain only rides on the stock tensioner and only touches the upper guide when it back lashes.

Over kill? Maybe. But I never ever have chain issues.

And thats priceless!

View attachment 106712
I don't know buddy I don't think it's real good to put tension on the top of a chain Take a look at my spring loaded arch ing tensioner you want to talk about never ever ever ever having problems with your chain I put 3,000 mi on this spring alone and haven't had a problem yet everybody thinks that the springs aren't going to be good enough we'll go on YouTube and look up spring loaded chain tensioners and see what you come up with I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has this particular kind Take a look at that buddy

The upper guide doesnt touch the chain unless it back lashes, and all it does is keep the chain from bucking. Its more or less a dampening thing than a guide roller.

Back