Need a kit - best rack mount for $450?

OH, Jeff,
As if the last post wasn't long enough, just thought of something else particular to these bikes. The 'trigger' type shifters. I ordered my kit with the twist grip throttle as there is just no more room on the handle bar for for another trigger.
Also, if you do get this kit, plan on drilling a lower mounting hole on the front of the rack for the frame mount. The configuration of our frame leaves the motor at a less than desireable angle using the stock hole. While the engine is designed to run in all kinds of angles, filling the fuel and checking the oil is easier when the engine sits level.
OK, I guess this is where a picture would be better...
...coming soon; check back.
WC

Amazing info WC! Just what I was hoping for. 20 mph and 100 mpg w/o slipping on those tires is great news. I also appreciate the install hints and twist throttle recommendation.

Best regards, Jeff

Pics of Schwinn Trailway w/ Staton FD

OK,
Got some photos of the WayBack Machine and my Staton Rack Mount setup.

Attachments

• WayBack Machine.JPG
    WayBack Machine.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Right Side Mount.JPG
    Right Side Mount.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Twist Throttle.JPG
    Twist Throttle.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Rear View.JPG
    Rear View.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Rack Mount.JPG
    Rack Mount.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 206
  • Fender Attachment.JPG
    Fender Attachment.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Front Fender.JPG
    Front Fender.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 202
  • On Stand.JPG
    On Stand.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 218
sparky: i've now been able to compare side by side in real-time...

the robin-subaru eho35 is notably quieter than the tanaka PF32 during acceleration, not as much at cruising...about the same at properly-set idles, but 4-stroke still a bit quieter. neither is offensive. maybe some of the difference i can hear is only the raspiness of a 2-stroke compared to the smoother sound of a 4-stroke.

Last edited:
Very nice Nuttsy!

I've been wanting to reattach my fenders to my Staton FD, too, but I wasn't sure how it would work when you attach the back part of the rear fender to the sleeve around the quick release shaft that allows you to raise the friction drive off the tire for plain pedaling.

Does the fender just give a little and move without getting distorted or bent? Or is there some other swivel in there?

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy,
These "Freddy Fenders" are polycarb. super flexible plas-tek. It flexes up and down with the rack and the lower stays are adjustable so you can keep the lower end of the fender off the tire as well. The forward half of the fender is simply mounted at the bottom in the fender mount at the chainstays and bottom bracket. The upper portion of the forward fender half is mounted to the center bolt of the rack support via a 1"X1" L bracket pop riveted to the fender. That puts the end of the fender about 6-8 inches up from the mount. That's no more than the fender overhang on the front wheel from top mount to end. No wobble on either end. Don't see why it wouldn't work with steel fenders too. They don't need to move much.
Hope that's clear. If not let me know and I'll put up some more pics.
WC

nuttsy...about the freddies...which i also love to death because of their workability. don't let spilled fuel sit, it will "brittle-ize" the plastic in a matter of minutes.

nice thread with cool details :)

Last edited:
the robin-subaru eho35 is notably quieter than the tanaka PF32 during acceleration, not as much at cruising...about the same at properly-set idles, but 4-stroke still a bit quieter. neither is offensive. maybe some of the difference i can hear is only the raspiness of a 2-stroke compared to the smoother sound of a 4-stroke.
Awesome. I was worried about the EH035 because of graucho's video... even tho he said the microphone made it seem twice as loud.

I think I've come to the conclusion that these two engines are all I'll ever need or want. When I first got here, I thought a GXH50 or TLE43 would be best... but I will never need that kinda power.

nuttsy...about the freddies...which i also love to death because of their workability. don't let spilled fuel sit, it will "brittle-ize" the plastic in a matter of minutes.

nice thread with cool details :)

Augidog,
Thanks for the heads up on the fenders vs. gasoline. Sounds like maybe the voice of experience?
WC

luckily, that experience only cost me $20...but doggone, it was brand-new!

Last edited:
Back