Need a kit - best rack mount for $450?

jmlarence

Local time
4:38 PM
Hi there,

Brand new to the group - my first post inside the forums. Have spent 20+ hours surfing this holiday weekend and the stack of notes and web pages printed are starting to pile up over here.

Start by saying - I like to be the motor. Whatever crazy gas milage these small engines get it's still gas. Most bike trips are less than three miles, but there are some destinations just outside my range when towing the trailer. I could make it for sure, just don't always want to arrive spent. I'm 125 pounds and in good shape. I tow my 30 pound daughter 4 miles round trip three times a week. Some good hills around here in Northern RI. I'm not a bike in bad weather person, so no rain trips for my rig.

I know I'm favoring a four stroke rack mount set up. The Robin 35 is on top of the "motor" pile of paper. Drive systems seem to be either very simple (friction) or a bit complicated (chain/belt). Friction is on top of that pile but my tires are not the cruiser width. Staton is on top of the "vendor" pile.

Included a photo of my rig.

Having trouble finding that silver bullet - or maybe just need verification I'm on the right path. $450 is the budget - what do you think? Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• Bike & Buggy.jpg
    Bike & Buggy.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 414
I have a limited knowledge of all the various rack mount systems, but it seems to me that due to your $450.00 budget and also the rear wheel shown on the attached photo you are going to have to go with a Friction Drive Rack mount. As for vendors its hard to go wrong with any of the kits from Staton. I seem to remember that their friction kit might be a bit over your $450.00 limit but not by much. To the best of my knowledge the chain driven Staton kits are pushing $600.00 as are the Golden Eagle Belt drive kits. But again the rear wheel on your bike is not easily adapted to eithe of thes types of kits.

ocscully

That's a nice looking set up there -- with the child rig and all.. I ve got the Robin Subaru 35cc friction setup -- I think it would work -- very good for you.. As you know it's a four stroke -- wouldn't want the smoke from a two stroke in the little ones face !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

That's a nice looking set up there -- with the child rig and all.. I ve got the Robin Subaru 35cc friction setup -- I think it would work -- very good for you.. As you know it's a four stroke -- wouldn't want the smoke from a two stroke in the little ones face !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

umm... I am sure shes gonna love a faceful of NOx and carbon monoxide so much more lol. 2 stroke or otherwise I would be amazed given the stanton/GEBE rack locations that the kidling would get any fumes at all - though with a winged wheel or similar I would have doubts as to fumes.
Best thing would be - choose system, rig it up and test it (not with passenger) and then see if the little girl can smell fumes - if she can then extend the exhaust up and over the engine or something..

Jemma xx

Did not even consider exhaust and a very valid point. That buggy has a full clear vinyl windscreen but the sides are still mesh. Could rig something to get fresh air from the side opposite the motor - perhaps clear vinyl on the motor side then.

I like the idea of testing it. Love to tinker. Do you guys and gals think I'm swimming up the right stream in terms of equipment for my rig? For the towing set up, would friction drive be more of a problem than solution?

Maybe I'll just wait. I hate jumping into these things when the soultion is not clear.

Best, Jeff

hi j,

i use a gebe setup with a wallyworld trailer and the rackmount is not an issue with either noise, or smoke fumes, once the kids get used to the noise they have no problem motoring around behind me, 2 and 5 years old.

I thought the fumes would be a concern but the new 2 and 4 stroke engines that come with the kits are top grade, i use a 2 stroke tanaka and apart from a small cloud to start the engine its gone in a second and runs smooth. The kids dont smell anything so i can run around with the vinyl screen rolled up. I sat on the ground beside them and couldnt smell a thing, because the engine is higher up the fumes blow off and never get to there level. My last ride with the kids in tow was around 15 miles, its just way too much fun and the girls love riding around.

No matter what you end up with you will easily be able to roll around with the trailer and kid in tow and the first time you push the trottle, well that story will have a happy ending !!!!!!

As far as friction drive i cant help you out there pm some of the other members who use them, and they should be able to help you out with the pro and cons of the system, everyone has there own ideas on which is the best so the more research you can do the better, i love my gebe....although it too is not without its faults...

goodluck with your search

vegas

I've got the Staton friction kit with the Robin-Subaru 35. It's running great so far (only 20 something miles) and only cost $417 (including shipping). So that should fit your budget.

I wonder, though, if the noise (which isn't really that much) will prevent your daughter from being able to talk to you. I'm sure she can talk loudly enough (or yell) over the engine, but if she just wants to have a conversation with you, it might become frustrating. Back many, many moons ago when I towed my daughter behind my bike, we used to spend a lot of time talking and I really enjoyed that.

Anyway, what about an electric engine? It seems like that would be very quiet and there wouldn't be any fumes to worry about.

Tracy

The Titan is 450 without the warranty and with shipping would pretty much blow your budget but it's pretty solid. There's some drag when you pedal without engine but I do this pretty often. I'm hoping I can get a freewheel for it soon. That should take care of any drag.
And when anyone asks for what's the best,you'll have but opinions. Even cars get tested for top ten you read in Magazines all the time but for now you'll have but riders opinions which is pretty much what the car testers give you.
It would be so cool if we had our own magazine,though. Now THAT would wake the public.
I would want to be a tester. That would so rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
my kiddie trailer is hooked up to the a recumbent trike that my wife rides it has a electric motor, its good for short distances and runs really quiet,(MAJOR BUCKS FOR A GOOD SYSTEM ) on the other hand with the gas engine it is considerable louder, so i do have to shout, but once the clutch finds its groove and stables out the noise drops just enough and i can talk to the kids a little bit easier.

i guess barbie or little princess 2 way radios are always an option !!!

Unless you have your heart set on a rack mount. I think an E-zip would fit the bill nicely. I've had one for a little over a month. As long as your trips are under 10 miles, you wouldn't have to upgrade the battery.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=936799

I've been checking the Wally site regularly and this is the 1st time I've any of them in stock since I got mine! I have heard they have been sighted in stores.

Back