Need a little assistance on a head scrather

207Rebel

So I've been dealing with this cutting out issue since I got this motor, no matter what I tried new carb, needle setting, spark, exhaust, just about everything and performance has gotten better but it always felt like it was leaking somewhere. tonight I was tearing it down and cleaning it up, When I pulled the jug off the motor I noticed it's got two gaskets (exactly the same) stacked on top of each other separating the base and the jug. On the engine diagrams it only shows a single gasket and everything I know about engines you aren't supposed to stack gaskets... this is obviously an issue.. atleast I think it is, anyone else encountered stacked gaskets on there motors? I'm gunna pull the second gasket off and run it, I imagine it should run better without leaking compression out the bottom of the jug, that's what would happen right? Double stacking a gasket like that should in theory cause I leak, was just curious if anyone else has run into this and if its needed or just a mistake from the manufacturer. Thank you.

People add and remove base gaskets to adjust port timings. Raising the jug usually affects the top end and lowering the jug affects bottom end. If the head and cylinder are torqued properly then using 2 base gaskets shouldn't leak. You can also get base gaskets in different thicknesses to really fine tune the port timings

Many of these motors require 2 base gaskets in order to have a proper squish band and timing. Some, like zeda 80s, can have issues with the piston striking the head if you remove one of the two base gaskets. Best case, removing one will increase compression which will increase power but will effectively lower the exhaust port which would somewhat limit the upper RPM range. Worst case, piston hits the head and it doesn't run or if it does run, it makes a lot of noise and not a lot of power.

Back