Need a new engine under 50cc

traeman2000

Local time
9:12 AM
Long story short, Does anyone know where to buy just a 48cc motor? The company I bought from sent me the wrong size motor and when asked to send the right size, I was sent a refund instead. My state requires a license for anything over 50cc, but I have this kit and no motor. Any suggestions where to buy a motor but not the kit?

49cc engines are hard to find. The 66cc/80cc looks identical. Just use 1 of them. You can also get stickers that say it's a 49cc. Cops aren't going to take apart your engine and measure displacement. Obey the rules of the road and don't ride like an idiot and the cops will leave you alone.

Long story short, Does anyone know where to buy just a 48cc motor? The company I bought from sent me the wrong size motor and when asked to send the right size, I was sent a refund instead. My state requires a license for anything over 50cc, but I have this kit and no motor. Any suggestions where to buy a motor but not the kit?
ebay, i'll get the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/363052605972

my boss is weird, and won't ride a 66cc cause the po po. I ride my 66's and 79cc. 50cc just not enough for me. Laws here say 50cc or less and 2.5hp or less, pedals attached and only automatic transmissions to qualify as a moped/motorized bike. I'm always breaking the law, not like they can tell though. They would have to tear apart the engine and measure bore and stroke to fine me. which would mean they would have to pay me to do that. lol. Kinda cancels out the reason for doing it in the first place. here as long as you're not a f'n tard farmer, they leave ya alone.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Regardless if ya got an hand lever clutch or a centrifugal clutch, An auto Trans for a M/B is when you engage the engine - One gear
never said it wasn't. I use manual shifting, and they have even pulled me over to tell me cool bike. They don't care here, have better things to do than screw with a dude on a bicycle. Like I said before, long as you aren't riding like a f'n tard farmer here, they leave ya alone and worry about thugs and car accidents.

never said it wasn't.
Yea I was just pointing that out, because the law reads funny, and people think a 49cc or a 66cc 2 stroke does not qualify as an auto trans under the M/B laws just because it has a hand lever to disengage and engage the engine with a clutch.

Last edited:
Yea I was just pointing that out, because the law reads funny, and people think a 49cc or a 66cc 2 stroke does not qualify as an auto clutch under the M/B laws just because it has a hand lever to disengage and engage the engine with a clutch.
Over here we had a few court cases, but the laws pretty much said they had to throw it out. Across the river in the other state you are only allowed 1hp and no faster than 20mph. lol literally right next to each other city's and totally different laws because two different states. Good point on the clutch though, even some cops don't realize they are wasting time and money trying to ticket a MB., for being a MB ( moped ).

ebay, i'll get the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/363052605972

my boss is weird, and won't ride a 66cc cause the po po. I ride my 66's and 79cc. 50cc just not enough for me. Laws here say 50cc or less and 2.5hp or less, pedals attached and only automatic transmissions to qualify as a moped/motorized bike. I'm always breaking the law, not like they can tell though. They would have to tear apart the engine and measure bore and stroke to fine me. which would mean they would have to pay me to do that. lol. Kinda cancels out the reason for doing it in the first place. here as long as you're not a f'n tard farmer, they leave ya alone.
I'll be honest looking at this thing I can't see the difference till I read more on this forum. Unless they tear it down they really won't know. Lol that and you can't go over 30 in small-town America

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Over here we had a few court cases, but the laws pretty much said they had to throw it out. Across the river in the other state you are only allowed 1hp and no faster than 20mph. lol literally right next to each other city's and totally different laws because two different states. Good point on the clutch though, even some cops don't realize they are wasting time and money trying to ticket a MB., for being a MB ( moped ).

Here in CA a M/B is suppose to be Moped Plate registered and pay one time fee $23
Also your suppose to have a M-2 or M-1 D/L but need no insurance
A M/B is allowed up to 4 Hp and max 149cc with an auto trans But it's not suppose to go faster than 30 mph
They say if a M/B can go faster than 30 mph or if it's more than 149cc It's suppose to be registered as a Motor Driven Cycle which has the same rules as a M/C.
The Cops here is SOCAL don't bother M/Bs unless your an ass and run stop signs, red light, ride on sidewalks, bicycle trails etc.
Then the cops might make things hard for ya and ticket ya for everything.
The only times I got pulled over was because the Cops wanted to check out my bike They said it's COOL. (y)

I rode for about 14 years and over 36,000 miles all over CA. without a Registration Moped Plate. Until a couple year's ago. I got a $23 Moped Plate just in case I gotta show it to a Cop. I'm not gonna mount it on my Whizzer M/B I keep the Plate in my saddle bag. I'll get it out and show it if a Cop ever asks. Besides I have this cool classic embossed Whizzer plate I mounted on my bike many years ago that I like so much I don't want to take it off.
DSCF8378.JPGDSCF6279.JPGDSCF3708.JPGDSCF3705.JPG
Now my 4 stroke 138cc Flathead NE-5 Whizzer is 16 years old and she has almost 40,000 Miles on the odometer
She goes alot faster than 30 mph too Top speed is 50+ mph
DSCF9332.JPGDSCF9343.JPGDSCF9346.JPGDSCF9355.JPG

Last edited:
Back