Need a reliable, USA parts guy.

Todd Casey

Local time
8:21 PM
New to this and have read alot. Built my bike and it's running pretty good. Think the China throttle grips or cable isn't right. Carb seems to not be right either. Alot of back pop. Had to take exhaust cap off for it to run better. Looking to buy the right parts for this everyday runner. Main transportation.

it's not a matter of "parts".
it's a matter of maintenance and modification.
those "back pops" are from bad head/cylinder seal.

many of the stock heads are warped. get some thick glass and sandpaper.
put the sandpaper on the glass and stand on two opposite corners of the sandpaper (or glue it to the glass).
move the head on the sandpaper in a circular motion to make its surface truly flat.
then buy high temp gasket material from the auto parts store and make your own gasket.
I hate those crappy aluminum ones. not worth the powder to blow them to hell.

then when you get bored just click on my signature link for further ideas for improvement

you can't mail-order adjustments and tune ups - find a repair guy in your area

I doubt there is anything wrong with grips&cable - replacing them probably won't help.

Seems like cable is to long. I can pull the metal part out of the holder on both ends. Seems like I'm not getting full throttle. Also I'm running a champion cj7y plug. What's the best plug to use?

there are two adjustments built into cable outer & top of carb seat that will shorten the inner (DO NOT use the part of the elbow piece that threads into the plastic mount as a third adjustment, because you'll crack the plastic if that isn't screwed in right to the locking nut)

I use the plug that comes with kit & have no problems.

some of the cables i've got are way too long i just use tie wraps (zip ties ,cable ties) whatever you want to call them to tension the cable , also some of the plastic inner that holds the cable in the handlebar had rough bits on it that would bind the cable , you have to take it out and file down the rough spots if this is the case.

the plug with the kit usually works fine but if it fails i replace with ngk b6hs .

Thanks guys. It wouldn't run at all with original plug. Also have to keep muffler end cap off to run good. Not sure what that has to do with anything

Back