Need Advice on Assembling

Tried that ... but the spacer is just bending. It looked like I moved it a little bit, but still can't get it out. Maybe I should try and cut the spacer(s) off? Since the key won't move, maybe that is the best way?

Tried that ... but the spacer is just bending. It looked like I moved it a little bit, but still can't get it out. Maybe I should try and cut the spacer(s) off? Since the key won't move, maybe that is the best way?

Sure would hate to destroy something you may not have spares right there to replace. I don’t know if that’s a straight keyway, or a half-moon. If it’s a half-moon, it’s usually gonna have a taper to it. If you really do see it has moved a little, I’d probably stick with diggin’ it out. Some keys are simple half-moon, some half-moons have extended square ends — maybe you can still get something underneath it a bit and pry it out, before cutting anything?

Use a small pair if vise grips to lock the grip onto the Key and pry it out with a screwdriver between the grips and the shaft.

I don't know if you can tell or not but I don't have much room for a screw driver to pry it out.
P1040545.JPG

Yeah, that’s a tight spot. Sure wish ye had a long drift punch, ‘cause that thing’d already be outta there. You have anything like a foot or so of steel tubing, something to reach through the frame and drive up at an angle?

Maybe a nail that you could drive the point in at the bottom of the key to act like a wedge forcing it up and out. Your probably going to be asking about where you can get a new key when you finally get that monster out. Just about any good hardware or auto parts store. 1/8" key stock.

Put it in the freezer for a bit, metal shrinks when it gets cold. That might help. When you do get it off, take all the spacers off and put only the sprocket on the shaft. Move it back and forth on the shaft till it looks lined up right, and then (without taking the sprocket off or moving it) sit different spacer combos on top of the shaft till it fills in the gap near perfect (they are different thicknesses, so you have many combos). When it's as best as it'll get take the sprocket off, put the correct spacers on first,then the sprocket, then the remaining spacers. Then screw it all back together (using the washer of course). Don't forget the set screws on the sides of the sprocket or the key.

Back