Engine Trouble Need advice

C

CjB

I might have ran to hard,to long,or both on a 80cc install yesterday.....completely new to subject, but have done lots of "research" today after the fact....things went smooth at first after install breakend but after trying to climb a hill and stalling the motor out, im now having trouble with throttle wide open (parked, disengaged)....it kills the motor instead of throttling

Maybe head leak? Look at the motor while it's running from the side (if you have a silver motor you might even be able to see drips of oil under the head) and give it a bit of gas, you might see puffs of hot gas/oil/air come out from under the head, if so it's a gasket or head leak.

I mention this since you think you may have ran it too hard, and in my experience if an engine doesn't have the headbolts properly and evenly torqued and its a stock head and gasket it either bursts through the gasket or it warps/cracks the head. I don't know why this happens to stock so easily but I know even on high grade motors it's still a pretty bad idea to unevenly torque a head down because of warping..

Agree with Frankenstein. Still on my first engine. Blew the first head gasket on first real run. Best advice I have is to just try to keep the engine clean. Easier to track down leaks, problems, and troubleshoot.

I also mention that since for a weird reason the head gasket leak behaves like a badly tuned/over rich carb and just dies under high throttle. Possibly because the air being lost is interfereing with the timing... The pressure is so low the gas from the transfers pours in slower and richer..

130psi is ideal, so if it is 70 or 90 that's at least 40 psi too low.

The sucking pressure from the exhaust is therefore lower with less psi (aka air) and this leads to slow gas movement, which is known to be very uncomfortable at times.

I recommend bean based 2 stroke oil, Caster is a good option, nice and chalky then them fumes running healthy.

Back