need advise... right now.

rossfree

Local time
6:15 AM
Hi all,

I just bought a 12 gage spoke wheel from bikepartsusa.com. It was a cheep wheel... steel w/chrome plating. The insides need a good sanding or buffing to remove sharp edges and it needs to be lined.

But I'd rather re-spoke my current wheel with the 12 gage spokes off of the new wheel.

I don't even know if the spokes will fit yet. I don't know how to remove the cassette on my shwinn wheel.

So... do I respoke my schwinn with the 12 gage spokes from the new wheel or just leave it alone?

Waiting for your response.

Thanks!

Ross

I bought a 12ga steel rear wheel for use in my happytime days and that thing never had any issues no matter what I did to it. Sure the steel is heavy and it'll eventually rust but it's heavy duty stuff. Theres no guarantee that the spokes will even fit on your old wheel anyways so why risk ruining a good thing.

It's a pretty cheap wheel. The bearings feel crusty right out of the box and there's a divet in the rim where it was welded together. Pretty unimpressive. Also the rim is much wider than the aluminum rim though I could probably adjust the breaks to fit.

If I could figure out how to get the cassette off of my old wheel I could take out one of the spokes and see if they match. I can drill the holes larger... no qualms there.

Thanks for getting back SirJake. Your opinion was my own at first... I just want a better wheel than what they shipped to me.

Now how do I get the cassette off with tools I have around the shop? It's a freewheel cassette.

Ross

hi ross, not sure but your wheel sounds something similar to the one i use, (wheelmaster made in usa)

if i were you i wouldn't even think about re lacing your good wheel with the heavier Gage spokes, you would probably end up having to drill larger holes in both the hub and the rims,

i bought mine after i noticed my 14 gage wheels were starting to go out of line after riding for just a couple of weeks.

Go ahead and line them like crazy, they do add alot of weight but its not really a factor once the engine kicks in, and when your cruising at 20-25 miles an hour you will be glad you have some heavier wheels beneath you.

If its a freewheel you need a special tool, a local bike store would be able to take it of in seconds for you, its not worth the hassle i tried...

Wheels Lacing and Time

Seems to me you can buy a wheel with 12 gauge spokes all laced up. GEBE sells them, I think. Be sure to get a 9-inch axle.

Worth the time saved. Have local bike shop install cassette.

Cheap!

Back