Need air filter clearance?

Local time
8:10 AM
Hi everyone
I'm still new to this MB thing but it is awesome and due to my innate desire to tinker I can't leave well enough alone. Here's the deal.... I just got a high performance air filter from SBP(thanks your awesome) and it won't fit on the carb becuase it is too close to the frame. I am considering remounting the engine...yes more wrench turning!!..I love it...but that will surely make the carb not level. Is this a problem or should I try to get an offset intake manifold?
As always, thanks in advance for all your advice and I appreciate any input.

Scotty

Attachments

• S4020477.jpg
    S4020477.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 275
  • S4020478.jpg
    S4020478.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 286
Really the only options I see are getting a short straight intake http://home.roadrunner.com/~bikeparts/intake.htm still not sure if you will have enough room. Or try finding or making one that comes out at an angle away from the set post.

Your carb looks really level and a slight tilt doesn't hurt them. You could try remounting the engine with a spacer in the rear, but that might mean re-drilling the front mount, which seems like a bad idea to me.

Last edited:
This is how I did it.
It's a 45deg. copper fitting silver soldered into the intake.

Attachments

• P9240009.JPG
    P9240009.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 302
  • P9240010.JPG
    P9240010.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
I like it! a 45 bend would be perfect. Has anyone used JV weld? Not sure I like the idea of solder but if it works for ya then go!

S

I didn't like it myself but I didn't have anyway to braze it on hand and silver solder should take the heat and a 20+ mile ride made sure it would hold up.
Nice looking bike Scott!

Thanks guys. I just got a 1/2" copper 90 turn at Home Depot for $1 and did a mock fit. Should be perfect. I'm gonna JB Weld it right now and when it cures I will remount and take pics for all to see. I get so stoked working on this bike that I can't figure out which is more fun, riding or wrenching!
Scotty

So here is what I came up with. Haven't ridden it this morning but seems tight and secure. Should pose no problems but if there is I will let you all know. Cost about $6 for copper turn and JB Weld.
Scotty

sorry bout that.....gonna try again

Attachments

• S4020496.jpg
    S4020496.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 293
  • S4020497.jpg
    S4020497.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 231
Back